wedding gig with fun requests!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by samurai_24, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Well on Saturday I played my first wedding gig with the band. On song #3, my bass rig starts to crackle big-time. Plus it's miked, so my guitar player gives me the sign to kill it. Luckily I had a back-up combo outside, so I rushed out to grab it, and had it up and running before the song ended. No one seemed to notice.

That was the fun beginning. After the 21+ kids started to get loopy, I would start getting requests. For background, we are a classic rock cover band, and are new, so we don't have a whole lot to choose from, around 60 -70 songs. First girl wants pantera. Yup, right after "Love me Tender" by Elvis. Second girl wants AC/DC. I apologized to her and told her we didn't know it, so throughout the night in between songs I hear "I WANNA HEAR AC/DC!" to which I replied "ME TOO!" It was over all a great gig and everyone had fun. My question is, what are some of the most memorable requests you have gotten, and were you able to pull them off? :)
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just about every wedding I have ever played, someone wants to hear "Crazy" by Patsy Cline. I have a strict rule on that one- bass player gets an extra $200 for every time we have to play that. I hate that song.

Another one I got a request for was some obscure country song that I had never heard of (not that I listen to much country). I asked the guy if he had a cd of it in his car, we all went out on break and took a listen to it. Singer wrote out the words, the rest of us took mental notes and somehow we pulled it off on one listen!

Later that nite, the same guy requested "The Cowboy Song" by Thin Lizzy, and we were able to play it. Then he asked for "Take 5" by Dave Brubeck. Played that as well. When he came back the last time, he asked for some Oingo Boingo. He was all over the map on requests- no genre was left out. I had to confront him on the last break, and ask what was up with the country jazz rock new wave requests. He told me he was a DJ, and was upset that he didn't get to play this wedding and was trying to make us look like asses by getting us "outside of our element". I was surprised when he complimented us on pulling off every tune he had requested. Sure, we had some clams trying to do tunes we didn't know, but we did passable jobs on all of them. He ended up tipping us $50, which was nice, considering he tried to "stump the band" and failed. Just goes to show you what having good ears and a good attitude can do for you... :D
  3. Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    Well, one time when we were playing a block party we decided to start one of the songs off with twinkle twinkle little star and every litte 3 year old out there was cheering and clapping. It was meant to be a joke, but these kids and their parents thought we were serious :rollno: we finish the song and then instantly get requests for "play twinkle twinkle little star again" and "yankee doodle!" and "row your boat". I didn't want to disappoint my unpotty-trained fans, so I played out their little requests... one of the guitar players, mitch, screwed up twinkle twinkle, so we had a good laugh at him...

*worst gig-esode ever!*
  4. Re-united hay hay
    ...........................AAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGHHH!! :bawl:
  5. I heard an awful tale of a guy that ended up vamping on "Girl from Ipanema" for 45 minutes at a wedding gig once because it was requested by the bride and groom, then there was some kind of delay in them appearing... OUCH. He's now allergic to that song.