Wedding gig....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

Two of my friends got married last saturday. We had planned to play 4-5 songs for them. They were: Whiskey in the jar (with lyrics regarding the groom), Tætum og tryllum (Icelandic song), Proud Mary, and two other songs that elude me right now.
    We were also asked to back up(play) a singer which was a surprise guest. She´s a very well known and respected singer here in Iceland (Sigríður Guðnadóttir, frænka Palla Rós), and being a pro that she is, she just met us for an hour the night before. We practiced three songs, Hjá þér(Icelandic song), Bobby McGee and Have you ever seen the rain.
    She was first to sing (with us playing of course) and it went so well that the guests demanded an encore. So we had to do some quick thinking and decided to perform Stand by me, which we hadn´t rehearsed. That one also went very well.

We were also the last act, my girlfriend was the singer and we performed our 5 songs that we intended to. That also went very well and the guests refused to let us stop playing. Fortunately we brought our text/lyrics book so we ended up playing nearly an hour and a half.

It was a nice change doing a wedding gig. We had a light gear, just the snare drum, a cymbal, mic´ed up acoustic guitar and my bass plugged into the mixer via my new sansamp.

/me a pretty happy man. :)
  2. sounds pretty cool Icez! Just yesterday my band played on the 50th birthday party of the drummer's dad. We played outside in their garden, it was pretty cool. It's nice to play on a different occasion once in a while (instead of the standard gigs)...
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sounds like you had fun!:)
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How does the sansamp work through the mixer? Does the bass clutter the vocals or anything else going through the P.A.?
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Not at all, it works very well :)

Saves my back from hauling my amp for such a small gig :)
  6. davcis70

davcis70 Guest

Apr 22, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    SansAmp Rocks! It's saved my back many a nights too. And for recording purposes it is great!:D
  7. Sounds like a great gig. :)