Wedding Gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassdude93003, Jun 23, 2003.

1. I thought some of you guys (and gals) who do this stuff regularly would enjoy this. It may have been around a while but I just got it this morning:

Dear Band Leader,
    >We look forward to your performance at our daughter's wedding. If you don't
    >mind, we would like to request a few of our favorite songs. Please play
    >these during the reception:
    >A Keith Jarrett composition from his solo series. Please arrange it for full
    >ensemble in the key of B, but nothing in 4/4 please.
    >Mahavishnu Orchestra, "Dance of the Maya" and please have the guitarist play
    >John McLaughlin's solo from the live performance Nov. 16, 1972 at the
    >Chrysler Arena. My wife and I were at that show and we liked his use of
    >One of John Coltrane's duets with Pharaoh Sanders. Our guests love high
    >register tenor saxes.
    >We thought a little Stravinsky right after the toast would be nice. So
    >please play "The Rite of Spring". We like a tempo of about 1/4note=93 and
    >transpose it down three half steps-it will be so much more appropriate for
    >this occasion in the slightly lower register.
    >Then for the candle lighting ceremony, please play Frank Zappa's "The Grand
    >Wazoo". The original key of Bb would be fine but my cousin Jeannie would
    >like to sing the baritone sax solo in the key of D-she has kind of a high
    >voice. When my new son-in-law takes off the garter, please just a little of
    >Varese's "Ionization". It's such a funny piece, we think it would go over
    >really well. Much better than "The Stripper".
    >And for the bride and groom's first dance, please slow things down a bit by
    >doing Barber's "Adagio for Strings". It's so much better than "We've Only
    >Just Begun" or "The Anniversary Waltz".
    >When my wife and I join in the first dance, could you segue into Thelonius
    >Monk's "Ruby My Dear"- it's in honor of my wife's grandmother whose name was
    >Ruby. It would mean so much to the family.
    >Thanks for all your help. Depending on the outcome we'll certainly be happy
    >to recommend your band to our friends.
    >We'll have your check for the fee of $250 (minus our expenses of contacting
    >you of $12.50) by the end of next month: we're a little short as the young
    >lady doing the balloon arch wanted her $1,850 in advance and the DJ had to
    >be paid up front his $2,500 as normal. Our daughter assured us that your
    >love of music was greater than your need for money, and that you would
    >welcome the exposure you would get from playing this wedding.
    >Before you leave, please feel free to ask the caterer for a snack sandwich
    >and a soda (the bottles are returnable or you can pay the deposit to the
    >butler). Please use the back entrance to avoid disturbing the guests.
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    LOL. That same mother of the bride though, once completely smashed, will come up to the band and say "you guys are the greatest band I've ever heard" and start to cry.
  3. Wow, they definately know what they are talking about. I loved that whole thing, but my 2 favorites were the part about $1850 for a balloon arch, and how they said that they are not paying you a lot since they think that your love for performing outweighs your need for money (which may be true, but I still found it humorous).
  4. very, um... thourough.

as for the money thing. you may well not care about the money, but that is still cheeky as hell!!!

and your probably going to have to go through a helluva lot more trouble than the DJ, i mean all he has to do is put on records. and you'll have to learn all those peices.

the first part was funny, the money part just made me angry (as you can probably tell :D )

are you gonna do it?

5. For those who may be confused, it was definitely a joke - well written by some wedding gig vet.
  6. ok, words cannot describe how utterly stupid i feel right now :crying:

but i wont delete the post, give you all something else to laugh at

7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I was not confused
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah, I've seen that before, yet I'm sure it's not completely off base for a lot of requests.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never played a wedding gig, but I've been told by many people that they suck.
  10. for my wedding i got a couple of my friends (string quartet) to come in. i had to lay down some pretty firm rules

1-play what you want, if it's inappropriate, i'll kick you in the teeth

2-drink all you want when you're done playing. the father of the bride is paying for the wine.

3-you each get $150 and all the food you can eat.

4-don't tell my mom about that beer binge we went on last week.
  11. Okay, I confess. I do a lot of wedding gigs myself as a sideman and here's the scoop:

1. Fairly good money $150.00 to $250.00 for four hours (including breaks, of course).
    2. No rehearsals. You are expected, however, to know quite a few tunes and many styles and play them competently.
    3. You show up, set up your gear only, play the gig, get paid and leave.
    4. Usually the food's pretty good, although lately, the band "boxed lunch" is pretty standard if the reception is being held at a pricey hotel.
    5. No real commitment to any particular band or band personalities.

1. You usually have to wear a dark suit or tux.
    2. You can't invite friends to the gig.
    3. You have to know a lot of lame songs.
    4. You gotta be fast on your feet. Sometimes you're learning the tune as you play it. (Once you get used to doing this, though, it can be exciting).
    5. You'll never get rich and famous doing it.

By the way, no offence to anyone who did not get the joke (and I know most of you did). You might get some wild requests but nothing even close to what was mentioned in the joke letter. I'd love to see addtions to the pro & con list......
  12. just to defend myself a little bit

one of the reasons i took it seriously is thats it's in the misc. forum, if it was in the humour section i may have got it ;)

13. I've been thinking about trying to get in onto the wedding gig scene recently..... purely for the money.

Hows about standard coporate event kinda gigs? I've heard very good things about the pay in them, but nothing else......

14. There are some high end corporate gigs that pay incredible money from what I'm told. The ones I do (mostly in Santa Barbara, CA) are not much different from the wedding gigs except that you can forget about getting fed. Hope that helps.

15. What am I thinking...... I've done one. A band I was in played at the Dynamic Earth (a place in Edinburgh) for a National Lottery thing.

We got paid in food (lots and lots of good-quality food.... mmmmm), but generally it was pretty crap. Still, I'm young, I'll try another few......
  16. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Just play Wonderful Tonight and Brown Eyed Girl. They'll never know the difference...
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Sorry, Pops, but "Hell is for Children" and "You Oughtta Know" are on our set list, and we're playing everything we know. What'r'ya gonna do, get another band? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
  18. Man, that is great. But you can pretty much substitute "wedding" for "company party" "class reunion" "carshow" etc. and much of the same misery applies.

Always a bonus if you actually get fed.