Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wedding question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Oct 15, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have a wedding tomorrow evening. On the invite, I listed that two people would be attending. My g/f cannot attend with me because of an injury.

My question is this:
    Do I still have to cover for both dinners when it comes to the gift, or only one? I am more than willing to cover the cost of both if that is the proper etiquette for the situation, especially since I'm pretty good friends with the girl who is getting hitched. But then again, an extra $50 in my pocket ain't so bad either. ;)

What should I do? :meh: :confused:

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bring Ahnold the governator.

He's like a wedding present.

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Leave the "This donkeypunch means I love you" thing alone. I'm sure your girlfriend gets it. Sorry I'm high on french roast. Can't go wrong with covering both dinners.

4. Bring a friend instead and have him/her cover for it?

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Uhh, thanks? :confused:

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Again, :confused:

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Already thought that if I have to pay for it anyways, someone might as well eat... No one's interested. :scowl:

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I wouldn't think that you would need to cover for two meals. Especially since it was an injury. When my wife and I got married a few years ago we were just glad to have our friends there and with all the other costs a dinner was no big deal. I mean we needed a n idea of how many would be there for the caterer, but we were mainly worried about not having enough food and stuff. JMHO.

9. Well the caterer ussually gets paid a few days prior so the the seats already has been paid for by the host.

If the couple is a real freind that you are close to, dig a little deeper and give them a good gift. That way 50.00 bucks isn't going to come between you guys in the future.

If there casual freinds that you don't care about, I'd still give them a decent gift. That way your conscience won't bug you.
    I say this because it probably is bugging you or you woulden't have wrote this tread ;)

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I think I'll just dish out for it regardless. She's worth it. :smug:

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thing is when a wedding party thingy happens they plan for a certain amount of people but often times it goes over. SO they plan on 150 but 180 show up. I reality you are doing them a favor. ;)

Dont sweat it. :cool:

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    My wife hasn't been feeling good lately. Which means I've had to fend for myself when it comes to dinner. So, do me a favor and box up that second meal and send it to me. I'm starving :help:

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You are going to a wedding and you have to buy your own food? I'm not sure I am understanding you correctly. If I am, that in and of itself would be unusual. Check your wedding invitation sometimes the wording of the invite will help with these types of questions. As a chef I understand that reception dinner no shows make people crazy but if your girlfriend is sick I think the happy couple will understand.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's not that I have to pay for the dinner as I would in a restaraunt or anything... I was always taught that your wedding gift should at the very least cover the cost of the dinner itself. ;)

15. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Ok, now I understand. Try checking if they are registered anywhere for gifts and choose something on their list. Don't get two gifts unless you just really want to. You are not breeching any codes of etiquette by getting one gift.
    Have fun. ;)

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    BatBoy agrees.