Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wedding rings = chick magnets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Oct 25, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Another thread just kind of brought this to my attention. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I had our second anniversary and in these past two years I've had more women hit on me than when I was single. Any other guys notice this? Can some of you women explain this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I've been thinking of digging up my wedding ring..............
    I can't speak for women, (what man can?), but i have some ideas. I think that women see married men as "safe" and flirt with them a bit more because they know it won't (in theory) really go anywhere. I'm sure there are women out there who enjoy a challenge and all, but for the most part i think it's all a bit of harmless and "safe" flirting.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yes! It's been proven. So much so, that I have single friends who sometimes wear wedding bands just to get some, and it works! One lady told me that they see married men as a challenge, and if she's competitive, she will go after you.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, I should get me a wedding ring, then.

Left, correct?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Correct! Good luck and good hunting!
    :D

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wear a wedding band AND take a little puppy walking - dude! puppys are an untapped resource as well!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...but I'm a cat person.

So, a gold band would do it, then? Like, $20 at a some cheesy joint, and I get more bumper than a chop shop? I think that's fair.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    "Untapped resource"? Listen to us! We should be ashamed!

i hear babies work too!

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends on what sex you want to attract.......... :p

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Go ahead, Woody, it's okay. We be males. Our genitals are hardwired to bypass our higher functions...like thinking. Which is why we get married in the first place. Someone has to do the thinking around the house, and I'll be damned it's gonna be me.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have noticed this too. Weird.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The only thing I can surmise is that chicks are literally, magnets.

ugh....what a slow morning.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dam right! i'll find out in June 05'

;)

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so if i'm right..............
    the best way to attract a woman is to be a "bad boy", treat her poorly, ride a motorcycle, and have a wedding ring, a dog and a baby.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    All of that, AND be a "momma's boy"!

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes, I have definitely noticed this!

Could be a combination of many things as to why. The "challenge" thing, the "safe" thing, maybe married men exude a sort of confidence, who knows.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Maybe a married says, "Look, I don't care if I bag you or not! I've got tail at home!"

18. Be a rapper, too. "But if my new boyfriend can't rap, what if my old boyfriend shows up and they have to battle? My new boyfriend would be destroyed!"

No actually chicks dig smarts.....................really..................................,.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................cuz opposites attract.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Same here where I work. When I am approached, I hold up my ring finger, and they look at me with a "so what" look. Disgusting if you ask me...no respect.

-Mike

20. Trying to find one overarching trait that girls like is pointless. Yeah, sure - the competitive homewreckers will like a guy with a wedding ring. Yes, the girls who have some masochistic desires will love you to beat them up and treat them like dirt. Other girls want a guy who will treat them like wonderfully, buy them roses and be romantic. Others don't respond to reward but will do whatever you want if you guilt them or punish them in some way. The fact is that there are different subtypes of people - not racially or socio-economically bound - but just different people who respond to different types of guys. You can wear a wedding ring all you want, but if the girl you're chatting up wants to be swept off her feet by Casanova, then you're in trouble. Instead of wasting time putting thought into what gimmick you can use to pick up, look at the type of girls who are attracted to you. Look at the type of girl you want to be attracted to you and think about who they like. If there's discrepancy, see if you can fit their mold. If not, then you might have to readjust who you go after so that you can be happy. There ain't no point wearing that wedding ring unless you want to be with the type of girl who would break up a marriage.

Unless you're just after sex. In which case, wear the ring, treat them poorly and you're in.

Leigh