1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wedge bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Askia, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Askia

Askia

Feb 24, 2006
    For a while I'm looking for bass cabs, that can be used for monitor. It's rare, that there is no P.A., so that you have to use your amp as the main amplification for bass, and most of the time I lift my cabs to ear level anyway, as I don't have ears on my legs.
    So the best sollution would be a bass cab, which can sit in wedge position.
    I've found Markbass made some wedge cabs, the Standard 121HR, and the two new Marcus Miller cabs have that option too.
    Have you tried any of them, or use some good wedge cabs?
    It's a common problem, that the bass cab sounds good, if it's not pointing at you, but if you aim it on yoursef, you hear a not so pleasant sound, the direct midrange, and string clank hits you. So that can be a problem as well when you use bass cab as a monitor.
    Any experience and solution?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Genzler makes some wedge shaped cabs. Of course there's Fearless. You could also just use a PA wedge.

3. Askia

Askia

Feb 24, 2006
    Do you have any good experience with one of them? For example, not all P.A. monitors can handle bass guitar..
    Fearless looks good!
    Genzler is a new bird, I haven't met with it yet.

4. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Oz
    Ampeg BA series can be set at a 60 degree monitor angle. They are combos, rather than just cabs but may provide a solution.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You should hear that stuff so you can control it. If it's coming out of the amp then somebody is hearing it.
    IEMs are the current trend. You can work on a good tone that works from IEM to FOH.

Rick James and Kro like this.
  6. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    The wedge or “kickback”, as I heard them called several years ago is great for small and even medium-sized gigs. Doesn’t need to be lifted up on a perch.

My favorite kickback is the one I own, but isn’t made anymore. I have a Genz Benz 210 kickback combo with the M-Line 200 amplifier. I bought it used a few years ago. Sounds fantastic and gets crazy loud for a 210 combo amp. Everything else is Ampeg, which I love, but the size (although that puppy is pretty heavy!) and sound of the Genz Benz makes me look forward to using it.

In all this time, I haven’t had the opportunity to set it up in front of me on a gig . Mostly because of space, but when I got it, I set it in front of me in a rehearsal and the band guys said they couldn’t hear it very well (probably because with it facing me, I didn’t need it very loud). Put it behind me, crank it up a bit, and everyone is happy.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sorry, I do not have experience with them. But you can't go wrong with a Genzler or Fearless cab.

I mainly use an Audiokinesis cab, which by design has such excellent dispersion that it does not need to be tilted back.

eriky4003 likes this.
  8. The Ampeg Pro Neo 210 has the ability to kickback like a wedge.

G-Z likes this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I had a SWR Bass Monitor 12 in the early 2000s. Really liked that cab. Kinda wish I never sold it.
    I had a pair of 90s EV FM1202 12"/1" floor monitors. They also served well as a bass wedges, though they were really, really heavy.

10. My GK 115 rbh does that. It’s a cool feature.

11. Eden D210MBX, the D210XLT in a wedge. Never got to try one though but sure look the business.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My older GK 700RB/112 combo kicks back. I don't find this makes the mids and highs any more aggressive than having the cab elevated to ear level. Easy enough to adjust the EQ. IMHO this particular cab gets a bit woolly in the low end when I kick it back. I have had similar results with some high end monitor cabs.

Running the GK flat on the floor seems to tighten up the lows a bit, but then you don't hear the mids and highs as well. I greatly prefer elevating my cabs >24 inches and aiming them at my head as I believe this tightens up the low end and allows me to hear the full range of the speaker.

The best experience I have had running the little GK in kick back mode is with the GK in front or 45 degree to one side and an extension speaker behind me. IMHO this approach is good for personal monitoring if you have PA support. But I would expect the distance between the speakers to produce comb filtering which is an important consideration if your rig is expected to carry the room. If that is the case, I would stack the speakers in a vertical column. The GK can be tilted back on top of the stack if you like.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i played out of a wedge (at times) for years and would gladly do it again --- just haven't made the time to load or to otherwise fashion an appropriate cab. i don't need a wedge combo, but i enjoy using them when they're made available.

wedgies are fun. :)