Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WEE-HAW!!! WOO-HOO!!! HIP-HIP-HORRAY!!! WHEEE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Feb 13, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    finally, after so long i can't remember when, i got my 8 string fretted today. this thing is _AWESOME!_

i'm going to be ... uh... busy for a few hours. pass the kleenex. :D :eek:

i'll get some pics up later today.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I thought I was ecstatic when I got my new
    T-Bird last month;)

Congrats JT! I'm sure it's gonna be a beauty!!!

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, speaking for both Environmentalists and TBers everwhere,

We hate you, JT! :D

Peektures! We need Peektures!

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    You could make 2 good basses out of monstrosity that or feed starving children in Africa for a week. :rolleyes:

Way to go, JT!!! :D :D :D

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Con.....c-c-c.....congr.....dammit, you know what I'm trying to say. Petty jealousy prevents me! :D

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    JT; just out of curiosty if conklin went out of buisness what would you play/do?

I believe you are the reason for deforestation.:D

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh. :)

here's some crappy pics from a jam cam...

first, the new boy, 8 string fretted...

[​IMG]

and the veteran, 8 string fretless...

[​IMG]

and my 7 string crew, looking on in jealousy at all the attention the 8's are getting, for a change :D

[​IMG]

these are pretty crappy pics. i'll have better ones soon, of that you can be sure. i'm overdue, now, for a new family pic. i should go to a professional photographer, have a pic of me and my basses, all sitting around in our sunday best. i could put it on my nightstand.

i wonder if barbara would mind...

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, John......till you start jonesing for your next Conklin fix.

I understand your ecstasy. Please let us know all the details.

Your happiness is shared!

9. Now the true question is..........whats next? :D

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably a job. i'm running outta dough, big time :eek: :D

11. Sell one of the 7s!!! I'll take one for...(let's see, how much is shipping?)...50 bucks!!!;):D

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

WOW, next you'll see a 24 string bass/conga/flute with bread/jam/cheese slicer --in case you get hungry finding out how to play that thing---!!!
    :D :D :D

.....ok now my GAS is reaching a dangerous point so I'll have to forget about buying food and paying bills and finally get that Stingray!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. When I saw all those basses I thought there was something wrong with my monitor!!

Oh my god!

:eek:

14. Beautiful!!!

So, what's the highest fretted note you can get on that bad boy?

Jeff

15. Wow JT, is that a Musicman 8-string pickup?????? NICE!!!!!!!! Must be custom made....

Hmm, the range of notes on that thing is from the low F# to the highest fret (36th????) on the high F, which would be three octaves above it, would would be A VERY VERY VERY VERY HIGH PITCHED F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I love the body top too. JT, what wood is it?

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, both the fretted and the fretless 8's have custom wound seymour duncan MM-style pickups. ROAR :D. the idea for that one comes from jon packard - thank you jonny :D.

they are both 36 fret, 35" scale instruments. i tune the 2 highest strings to b and e, respectively, so their note range is 70 notes, 2 octaves and change short of a piano. :D

the body on the fretted 8 is quilted walnut, the fretless is flame koa. the neck on the fretted is walnut and purple heart, the fretless is wenge and bubinga. the fretboards one both are actually from the neck blank, before it was carved, so they match the neck almost totally seamlessly - looks like the neck and fretboard are all one piece.

the new 8 is surprisingly light, a few pounds lighter than the fretless 8, which weighs 16 pounds. i'd say this thing isn't a pound over 13, which is a huge surprise to me, considering all the metal on it. it's actually quite a joy to play, even more so than i was expecting.

whoo. this has been an exciting day. i'm getting too old for this. i need to lay down. :D

17. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    JT : Where do find pups for those basses? MY favorite is the one on the far left.

ya beat me to punch.:D

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm afraid of you.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    BOO!!!

:D

20. No offence JT, but I never did like the looks of your eight-strings. I bet they sound and play great though. Eye of the beholder and all that. Congrats anyway!

[​IMG]

Still my favourites :D.

Next on your list, after a job, is a doubleneck eight string, fretted and fretless, with melted top and fingerboards. With chilli fries and a diet coke.

:D