Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wee, now I have TWO Sunn heads!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Oct 27, 2005.

1. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Now that's delicious.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Gimme, now.

Im not joking. :eyebrow:

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The even cooler/enviable part is, that I got both for under $500. :smug:

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I recognize one of those :bag:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice! How's about a little compare and contrast, eh? :D

Tom.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, the person who bought it for me, then shipped it to me said it had a huge low end. He was using the cab from an old Acoustic combo with a JBL in it. Me, I don't have a "real" bass cab right now. The Webers are mainly guitar speakers that can handle some bass, but they aren't that deep sounding. The 200s is definately cleaner, and it's taking me a little while to figure out a good EQ setting. (it's harder with only 2 knobs than 3). In fact the 200s is so clean, my speakers distort before the amp itself does! Right now i'm using it just as a PA head for right now, and it serves that purpose very well with 2 Peavey 12+horn cabs. It won't be used as a bass amp until I get Ray's Sunn 215B with JBLs. :smug:

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how many watts are they?

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea the 200S (close to the same as my Sorado)is gonna refuse to distort until you get it pegged at 8.5 9 volume. Gotta love Sunn engineering :)

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the Ox!!! check this out on the 'Bay!!! Sunn 2x15

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    depending who you speak to, between 60 and 100 each.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 200s has a tube rectifier, so it's probably closer to 60 watts. I'd actually like to switch the rectifier on both to swap the wattages. The Sceptre is actually slightly louder.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

Heh, looks cool, but those look like CTS Speakers, which i've already blown a few of (they came stock in my Univox cab.) After I get Ray's cab, i'd probably buy another Sunn cab if it were empty, just to put my Webers in, then seal off the ports.

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

My 2000S is the best sounding amp I got!! Bar None

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Also probably the widest! :p

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yeah, 30" It is heavy and has 2 Rectum tubes. and 4 6550s

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im working on getting a Model T from a local guy.

18. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Good lord, you are one blessed booger! Those are two beautiful heads, though the 200 is slightly better IMHO. If you are soliciting cab reccomendations, I would NOT pursue Sunn cabs for this. These heads play well with almost ANY 4 ohm or less cab. The CTS high-clearance speakers did have a reliability issue (that is putting it mildly) and almost anything you get in current production is going to sound its very best with that head. Buy a cab that matches your sound and replace that line cord to the amp. The ground prong has been cut off, right? Never seen a head of that vintage where some dummy didn't cut it off. Good score! X2!