Weekly practice for the sake of practice.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hyp.spec, Sep 6, 2018.

1. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    I'm in a 'well established' metal band. Local scene veterans. Our first album was released on a label and can be found all over the streaming services.

Material is written and set in stone, and the drummer hits the studio this weekend for tracking.

So, why should I bother to drive an hour to practice, to 'practice the set' for an opener slot next week for a well known national? The stage show hasn't changed, and we've got click/scratch tracks for all the tunes we're going to play.

Am I the a**hole for suggesting we just skip practice altogether? That's a lot of wasted time to drive an hour to practice, jam for an hour and then drive an hour home. What's the point? We're done writing, and we've got recordings. Is there something so wrong about rehearsing parts at home?

Or am I just getting old (woohoo, 30!) and grumpy?

Phud, redwingxix, Seanto and 3 others like this.
  2. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    I agree. If you're all capable musicians, you all know your parts and you play together regularly, it's a waste of time.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You can stay home and practice in your "mind" . Visualize each song and you playing your parts. Go through the set as if you with your group.

Your muscle memory should be pretty good by now so visualizing like athletes do should be fine.

Good luck with your show! A gig report would be cool. :thumbsup:

4. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    A samurai proverb sais : You can fight only the way you practice.

Skipping one practice does not matter at all (we all have done this)...but this must be the exception, not the rule...

Lex P., carl h., Remoman and 8 others like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends. There are always things you can work on together that you can't do alone. You should know better than us if there are loose ends to tighten. But yeah, I agree that if things are tight, sometimes rehearsals are unnecessary (especially if you are just meeting for an hour).

hisdudeness and saabfender like this.
  6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    As others say, what works for you. But does this work well for everyone in the band?
    I wouldn't say you are an a-ho, because I feel the same way often. However, my singer gets very nervous if she doesn't rehearse with the band. So I do it more often than not.

I prefer to play once a week with my group simply because I enjoy it. If we are well rehearsed we may work out some new material instead of playing our set.

Lex P., Plectrum72 and HolmeBass like this.
  7. I'm totally in sync with the OP, If you take your job seriously you are prepared, if you don't you aren't and it quickly shows.
    Gas is not cheap at least in my neck of the woods, I'd say you are a realist & getting wiser in your old age!

8. As the saying goes - amateurs practice until they get it right. PROFESSIONALS practice until they can't get it wrong. Which are you?

newwavefrank, MCF, 12BitSlab and 6 others like this.
  9. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ok, my turn.

No doubt when you made this last record, you guys didn’t perform the songs as a band with vocals. That means the songs are relatively unrehearsed even if you know your individual parts well.

I am also typically of the mind that once a band of competent musicians has the book together and have gigged a couple times, regular rehearsals end. Getting together for the sake of getting together is a tremendous waste of resources.

This show is a big deal for your band. There are people in your band who are nervous about the performance and want to take steps to be less worried. I’m not usually the usually the “suck it up!” guy but suck it up. Other bandmates need this rehearsal, probably for emotional reasons as much as musical ones.

MCF, juancaminos, hisdudeness and 4 others like this.
  10. Who originated that saying?..unsure if I agree?
    I make mistakes constantly at my day job + at gigs, Thankfully as a bass player only I notice 99% of them!!

pbassjbass, HolmeBass and oldrocker like this.
  11. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It was part of an NFL ad campaign decades ago.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if everyone knows what to do/play on 'established' tunes: i like the idea of rehearsing the ensemble once before the gig...if it's been awhile. if gigging consistently/regularly = no rehearsals are needed.

i think it's different for bands which constantly turn over material/tunes (i'm in one of those).

but i'm not lazy about it: it wouldn't make any difference how far away or the distance involved to have a rehearsal.

practice = what you do at home, rehearsal = what you do as an ensemble. i make the distinction because many players seem to practice at a rehearsal. ;)

EdO. likes this.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't play with people who skip rehearsals.

14. Chains

Chains

Jan 22, 2014
    Rust never sleeps.

MCF, Russell L, pbassjbass and 3 others like this.
  15. I just finished up with a band that had been together for 13 years, the last 7-8 with the same four members. We knew our stuff well and practiced once a week. It was kind of like our "poker night". Over the last two or three years the practices got fewer and fewer. The drummer or singer found a reason to not be able to practice, to the point we might go a month or two without getting together. They were like "but we are gigging a lot so we're going through the material". The thing was, the timing was starting to suffer. I could work out my stuff, and me and the guitar player got together with a drum machine weekly. But tempos, starts and stops, etc. started to get sloppy.

So for me, if I had a show coming up, especially opening for a national act, I would practice.

But that's just me.

BnB

MCF, carl h., oldrocker and 1 other person like this.
  16. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I'm with you. My main two acts don't rehearse anything because we're spread over different parts of the country. The main core of the band between two western states, the rest (as they're needed) as far flung as Chicago and Nashville. Yet we don't seem to have a problem pulling of a great set-in-stone show. And if there is something new, learn it in your hotel room before soundcheck. Show up, do the show, go home. Simple. Got a question on something? Run it in sound check.

TheBear likes this.
  17. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Getting older definitely has something to do with it....you are more picky about how you spend your time. The hour commute probably has a large influence as well. I am not big on rehearsing when there is no true need. If the band is already tight then just show up at the gig and do your thing. Weekly rehearsals are something that always leads me to quit a band. I've been seeing ads on craigslist for groups looking, and they profess they rehearse twice weekly. That is kinda insane to me. IMO of course, some folks have different views on this i'm sure.

18. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Depends on whether you enjoy it or not. My band currently has a pretty settled set, really tight and we're in the studio from the 15th recording another EP; track list decided, parts nailed and BPMs agreed. But we still rehearse twice a week because we enjoy it and we're friends. It doesn't take an hour to drive to our practice space, so we don't have that issue.

With regards to comments suggesting people practice their parts at home, that's all well and good and kind of works to a point but it's not the same and anyone suggesting it is genuinely sufficient are kidding themselves. My attitude to being in a band is enjoyment > everything, so if rehearsing regularly isn't enjoyable for you, don't do it.

Wolford, 12BitSlab and saabfender like this.
  19. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Has the band rehearsed the set as a set? If yes, I'd vote for the break because it makes you fresher for the show. Like football coaches are finally getting the message that rest is good... Lots of pros and semipros can make a set work even if it hasn't been rehearsed. Just don't fiddle around. Manufacture drama onstage, it's your job.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No two bands are the same, so somebody else's opinion doesn’t count for much if they’re not a bandmate of yours.

Rehearse or don’t. Your band. Your set list. Your call. Bottom line is the outcome.

If the show goes off without a hitch, you didn’t need to rehearse.

Let us know how it turned out.

Ronnie681 and Chains like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021