Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weezer - Make Believe

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by UnDoNe, Apr 24, 2005.

1. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    This just leaked last night and its a great record! Definitely up there with blue and pinkerton. And Scott Shriner is a great bassist :bassist:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I hope the other songs are better than "Beverly Hills"

3. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    'Beverly Hills' is the worst song on the album Its shocking how such a great album has that as the first track, but it's soon gone...and on with the rock! :hyper:

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah, on the weezernation and albumfive boards everyone's saying how it's really good, but the guys on ozmafans generally say it's just okay so far.. hmm. But the general consensus is that BVH is the worst song on the album (followed by WAAOD "I want to confiscate yr. drugs!").

We don't want to overreact now, do we ;)

P.S. I'm abstaining from the leak, I'll wait 'til it comes out..

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Weezer has a strong history of choosing poor first singles.

That said, BVH was so bad I pretty much wrote off the whole album. So there's hope for it after all? :meh:

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah, there's hope. It's pretty decent apparently. Better than Green and Maladroit, or sth.

[​IMG]

7. In my opinion this is the worst album weezer has EVER made. I sincerely wish I had never listened to it.

8. Even worse than green? Didn't think such a task was possible.

9. The Green Album is insipid but pretty damn catchy. This one is insipid and utterly bland.

10. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    all a matter of opinion i guess

11. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The Blue Album is one of my all time favorite albums, however since the loss of Matt Sharp and the release of "Green" I have boycotted Weezer, they shall not see my money. I think Rivers has his head way up his a**. The music is trite and un-inspired. Again, all a matter of opinion :D

Oh yeah, Ken Andrews released the second ON album entitled "Make Believe" over a year ago.

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    So have you heard MB or not?

Heh, on all the Weezer fanboard people were complaining on how Make Believe was a horrible title :eyebrow:

13. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

This was the worst Weezer album. They don't have the raw Weezer feel they had on Blue or Pinkerton. It is too much pop. the lyrics are well written but it seems to rub off as rehashed Green album Bsides.

14. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

This was the worst Weezer album. They don't have the raw Weezer feel they had on Blue or Pinkerton. It is too much pop. the lyrics are well written but it seems to rub off as rehashed Green album Bsides.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the album since it was free but I would never sink more than $3 for the still shrink-wrapped first pressing of it.

15. Such as Dope Nose, or Hash Pipe...although both of those albums were throwaway crap...I just think Rivers is too in love with himself to make good music anymore.

16. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    This album isn't as good as blue or pink, but i think it's just slightly better than green and it blows maladroit out of the water. Also, its strange how you say the lyrics are well written as these are probably the worst weezer lyrics yet, but the music makes up for it :)

17. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Funny side story:

I and my 2 friends/bandmates were actually in the BVH video (kinda to the right of the big lighted =W=, next to a couple Playmates, one of which whose boob popped out during one of the takes! Too bad I didn't see it in time :scowl: )

Okay, second funny side story:

They first started playing the song at time and a half (1.5x the speed) and that was the first time most of the people who came in late afternoon including me had heard BVH. It sounded pretty cool. Over and over again, it started to grow on all of us. It was really easy to rock to. Then they said, "Okay, now we are going to play it in real time!". HOLY MOLY it was SLOOOOW. Everyone was all off-time rockin' out to it (especially this one Playmate who could NOT dance nor even sway/clap to the timing of music to save her life).

Anyway, what really counts is if you put your face up REALLY close to your TV screen, at minute 02:09, you will see my blurry face for a nano-second! YEAH!!! I now live forever!!!

*until they stop showing this video at least*

-T

18. It is a pretty dumb title, IMO.

19. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    Blue was full of great songs since Rivers had his whole life to write them (note how much acoustic guitar is on Blue-- from Rivers' open-mic solo days). Pinkerton had some of that songwriting influence, with fewer hooks, but some good emotional subject material to make up for it.

It's well documented that Rivers had writers' block when working on Pinkerton. My theory is that he's basically never recovered from that writers' block.

20. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    wow thats pretty cool my friend! i heard on the boards about it being played faster and how a few boardies preferred it to the 'normal' version ;)