Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weezer - Tired Of Sex...how?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

How do you get that gritty and nasty bass tone?

2. i'm interested in what other ppl have to say but to me it sounds like a really cranked tube amp... i've seen weezer bassists using SVTs and orange heads. it sounds like they've just pushed it a little extra for that tune. could be way off though.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I know Matt Sharp used some form of tubish overdrive on that track but I'm not sure if it was a pedal or the head (Matt Sharp left the band after Blue Album). When I have the cash to buy it I'm gonna be giving that tone a go with my EHX English Muff'n. I love that sound though, so utterly filthy :D.

4. ok i had a quick look on their site's equipment history...

so i expect on that recording it'll be the orange head with the big muff

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    That album was recorded live all amps and drums were miced in the same room and played at the same time... so i heard..

6. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    Could someone confirm this?

7. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Hahaha this thread title has win all over it. :D

8. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I've read that now he uses Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie "B".

9. Matt Sharp has some killer bass tones on Blue and Pinkerton. They are great albums. Does he really get that good of fuzz tone from a muff?

10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Actually, I believe he left after Pinkerton, partly due to the poor (initial) reception the album received. Nowadays, it seems Pinkerton is held in high regard by alot of emo kids.

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I suspect it's the combo of a Muff and a good tube head. I severely doubt you could coax that kind of tone out of a GK head (and I'm a diehard GK user, so no love lost).

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I suppose you would be tired of sex if it was your job.

13. He indeed did leave after Pinkerton, which for some reason wasn't received well(Pinkerton). Mainly due to it being a noisy album, i guess the pop critics don't like noisy grungy rock.

I think the true reason he left was mainly just butting heads with Rivers Cuomo. I think their personalities just clash.

I feel like the "emo kids" was a jab below the belt. I don't consider it emo. Its powerpop/grungepop...its just good music.

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I would tend to agree. I think you could get that with some kind of fuzz, maybe even a Boss ODB-3 and power tubes. Or maybe a VT bass pedal doing fuzz and a real SVT. Alot of those guys blend amps. Studio magic never hurts either ;)

15. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    indeed he does, according to this link

i appreciate that this is scott shriner, dont all jump down my throat now!

16. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Cool pedal, but the sound clips sound nothing like Weezer.

17. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    I was under the impression he left to pursue The Rentals full time but I could be wrong. He's actually rejoined the band now on guitar with Rivers doing a vocal only front man thing.

I always thought the bass on Pinkerton was just overdriven tube amp but listening again today it sounds like bits and pieces of fuzz bass here and there which do sound quite muffish.

18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    a lot of albums are recorded like this. it sounds better than any professional engineer will want to admit.. (sometimes)

19. when i saw the title of the thread i thought it meant how did weezer become tired of sex....

20. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    Listening to it rigth now, it definately sounds liek a muff fuzz, blended with a tube amp. to me.