weezers bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kaboom133, Feb 19, 2002.

1. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i just got home from a weezer concert. i never really thought much of their bassist, partly because of his style of playing. he plays with a pick, for one, and he plays right along with the guitars. but after tonight, i have a newfound respect for him. he might have a style that i don't really care for, but he plays this way very well, and he really impressed me. i've been hearing a lot of bashing going on of people who play with a different tecnique or style that some of us might not approve of, and i would just like to say, give the por guys a chance, you might be pleasantly suprised. if this sounds stupid to anyone, i'm sorry. i haven't slept for three days, so i might just be rambling.:oops: (kinda looks like someone yawning to me, but maybe that once again has to do with my lack of sleep)
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Weezer has a new bass player. His name is Scott Shriner. He is Weezer's third bass player, replacing Mikey Welsh, who replaced Matt Sharp.
  3. The guy you saw has only been in the band for three or four months.
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing them in March.

I love their latest CD. Lots of good tunes on it.... we cover two in our new band. Presumably he's the bass player who played on that?

Sometimes simple bass lines sound best IMHO. Hash Pipe is very simple but SO effective!
  5. No.
  6. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, he's their third bassist? i didn't know that. i knew they've had at least two, but i thought that was it. does anyone know why the other two bassists left? and were they as good as scott?
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Matt Sharp left (for what I can think of) because of his other projects not getting enough attention and maybe he went as far as he wanted to with the band, Mikey Welsh left the band temporarily for personal reasons and went under phsycological therapy sessions. I would say that Matt was an extrovert, he sang Falcetto, and was an accomplished bass player, Mikey was the same, and had much experience professionally (I.E. going on the road, making albums etc) Scott is just as good as both of them, they played some new stuff when I went to their show and the crowd really liked it. hope that helps
  8. matt was so awesome. i wish he would come back. :(
  9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    You got a point there DHC he was kick ass
  10. Sorry for being clueless, but who played on Pinkerton, Matt or Mikey? I love the basslines on that album.
  11. matt. he sang the falsetto parts too.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  13. Weezer is cool. My favorite song to play is one of there.. say it ain't so.. I changed it a little buit but it is basically the same.
  14. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    They were all good bass players in there own unique way. i was fortunate to see them a couple shows ago at wilkes barre. they rocked! my favorite weezer song would have to be "only in dreams". a great song and great bass riff. they improved on this song so much live, it just made the song rock even harder then ever.

15. BPG, I was at that show as well, what'd you think of it? I noticed also that the bass player was in fact, not Mikey Welsh. I was a bit suprised, he did a fantastic job however.
  16. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    the show was awsome! to bad the security was a little too strict though:( o well. ozma sucked. saves the day was pretty good. that bass player was scott shriner. i think i heard some where that mikey was battling a fight with drugs, i dont know if thats true or not though. scott did an excellent job! that was a beautiufl p-bass that he played, even though it was really really hammered, i wish i had a vintage fender precision like that... i can care less what it looks like.
  17. Mikey couldn't handle all the blow and underage Japanese girls that Rivers keeps around at all times.
  18. What in the hell is wrong with that?
  19. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    If you were at the same show i was, Feb, 18th 2002
    Ozma nd saves the day both sucked royally., Ozmas rendition of the tetris theme was the one exception to that rule(It was Incredible)

Weezer was by far the beat i have ever seen them...
  20. Hey, I replied before, but I don't know if it went through. Dang computer! Anyways, I did not like Ozma either. Their guitarist (with the gibson) looked like he hated being there, which kind of killed it for me. Also, the keyboard player did practically nothing except watch the band!:rolleyes: I would've enjoyed it if there were some cool keyboard parts, but oh well. Back on topic, Weezer ruled! Also, weezer's bassist did a fabulous job, I couldn't of asked for better:D ! Bravo!