1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weighing in on Hipshot Ultralites on Fender Areodyne non-export.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VWbug, Mar 27, 2015.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    ... And do you feel they were an upgrade from the originals, not just a means of lightening the weight? I posted this in another area but I figured there was a better chance of responses here if it's ok. Really enjoy the Fender Areodyne.

i have done the searches and am contemplating putting them on a Fender Areodyne non-export to reduce overall weight. I love how the bass sounds. I'm also hoping to keep the "look" of the originals. I'd be interested in hearing how you like them if you've done it. Thanks.

Ps,
    My most comfortable basses are in the 8 to 81/2 pound range and this bass comes in at about 9lbs. I'm hoping the loss of 8oz.=1/2 lb would put it in that range. There is no neck dive presently and no significant dull spots on the neck. I'd read in my searches that folks reported no significant changes in dull spots. :unsure:
    2ED577E0-527C-4368-8B6D-3C8F9D27138F_zpslfht8dj9.

placedesjardins likes this.
  2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    As you mentioned, these are already fairly light. The Gotoh tuners on there don't have the larger/heavier mounting plates to begin with, so I'm unsure you'll shave as much as a half pound of. The bodies are sculpted thinner than others and they are made from basswood, so any weight shaved off the neck could help with balance a little even if there is no noticeable neck dive.

As long as you're OK with exposing the screw holes for the existing tuners after the Ultralights are on, then it's really up to you whether it's worth the money.

VWbug likes this.
  3. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    The present ones stock are Gotohs? Do the Ultralights turn smooth and feel solid like the tuners on the Areodyne now or the present American Standards?

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Yes, they are Gotoh GB1 tuners.

The Ultralights have the smaller enclosed gear mechanism, with a single screw on the back. The ferrules thread on from the front to help lock the post to the headstock. They're high quality and turn smooth, and you shouldn't notice any difference in feel.

VWbug likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I may have a set of Hipshot Ultralites with the larger posts if you are interested. They are great tuning keys; I have been putting them on most of my basses for years, now.

VWbug likes this.
  6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I use Gotoh Res-O-Lites and Hipshot Ultralites. Both work great and the weight savings makes my neck & back happy.

VWbug and neal davis like this.
  7. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I shaved just under a half pound off mine by switching to the 3/8th ultralites. It was a switch for the better

VWbug likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'd recommend writing to Hipshot before purchasing anything. Their customer service has always been great, responding within a couple of business days (at the longest). Take off a tuner, measure it and perhaps take a pic or two (get both the empty hole and a mounted tuner in the pic, just in case) and send your findings to them.

They already have a pre-made Drop-D Tuner for Japanese-made basses (BT10), so they'll probably know which standard and Ultralites work best off the tops of their heads.

It's funny, I assumed they used the same 1/2" tuners most Fender/Squier instruments use. Ya learn something new everyday, huh? :facepalm:

@VWbug08'; As far as their finish goes, they draw a distinction between "Chrome" and "Shiny Nickel". However, for the clover-style tuners, it only seems to affect the housing, not the key itself (unlike the Y-tuners). Also, if you're thinking of going with the black finish, do be aware that it's a matte-black, not shiny.

When I bought my first Drop-D tuner (the aforementioned BT10), I just went and bought the chrome one. I'd forgotten my Aerodyne's hardware was "smoked chrome", and I was a little disappointed about the barely-perceptible color-difference. I was giving some serious thought about replacing it with a black tuner. That was until someone pointed out they were actually matte-black. So now, I'm just fine with my original purchase and barely notice the difference between the two, and no one else has even mentioned it, so I don't think they notice it either. ;)

VWbug likes this.
  9. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks I really appreciate the info.

10. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Good to hear. That's exactly what I was hoping.:)

11. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Lots of great info. My non export has regular chrome color hardware. I think I read here that using chrome polish will take off the smoke tint? Maybe it would help yours match better. I can't recall where I saw that.

12. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Neal, what are 3/8 Ultralitles? Are they still clover shaped?

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Here's the page for them. They have Y-shaped, clover and lollypop styles in three or four different colors.

HB6 - 3/8'' Ultralite Tuner > Store > Hipshot Products

Sorry for cutting in, Neal! By the way, I love your avatar. Is that a Fragilie all the way from Italy? :D

neal davis, VWbug and MarkoYYZ like this.
  14. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Oh so you want your lightweight bass even lighter :p
    Nothing but love for those ultralights on here. I put a set on my eb3, it fixed the neck dive but felt weird. I swapped back for my old tuners and sold em to a guitarist pal who likes parts. Not saying they wont work well! With the maple neck on your aero it'll probably have less impact than the mahogany neck on my eb3.

VWbug likes this.
  15. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks

16. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Just be sure to contact hipshot for the correct size . I have 1/2" and 3/8" on two different non export aerodyne's

VWbug likes this.
  17. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the heads up. Not to be ignorant, but what does the 1/2 and 3/8ths measurement refer to? :wacky:

18. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    It refers to the hole in your head stock where your tuners go. The 3/8th and 1/2" diameters are the different sized string post. If you have 11/16th" holes you need the 1/2" ones, if you have smaller you need the 3/8th ones.

VWbug likes this.
  19. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have Hipshot Ultralites on my Wolf and my Tune.They greatly help in relieving neck dive.20650G's 3/8's HB6Y as I remember.
    Snapshot_2015225.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    VWbug likes this.
  20. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thank you Neal. Much appreciated.