Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weight and quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robb., Jul 1, 2004.

1. i know many people who equate heavy gear with both build quality and sonic quality. they reason if it's heavy, it's because it's built like a tank and has a huge transformer.

personally, and perhaps this is my engineering profession speaking, i equate lightweight with quality. my bergantino HT-112 is ideal for me because it sounds incredible and can be carried with one hand easily. i just received a crest Pro 7200 that is 590W a side into 8 Ohms, and it's 25 lbs. how many people love their QSC PLX amps?

of course, we were looking at some mixers to be built in china, but they're very heavy because they have a thick, steel face panel. in that case, since it was built in china, it being heavy was a good thing, because it felt more substantial and less flimsy.

what kind of person are you? heavy = good or heavy = sloppy? lightweight = clever or lightweight = flimsy? what do you think about china/overseas v. domestic product weight?

robb.

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Im a tone person! Im 37 and own a concrete co, so right now weight doesnt bother me, it might in the future. If heavey sounds better, than thats the way I will go but if light sounds better, Im all for that too! Jmo, but there are some good light weight products out there that are great but not all of them. For an example, I switched to a heavey crest amp from a plx. The plx will probably last a very long time and Ive had no problems with it, its a solid amp, I just think the crest out performs. I would MUCH rather have light gear but if the tone isnt there, it isnt there. That goes for all gear.

I try to buy "made in America" first but the gear made in China isnt all that bad. I think it has more to do with the design engineers, cost cutting from the parent co and quality control than made in China. Jmo.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Heavy just means there are heavy components in the gear. Making any other assumption is foolish.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Your post is too gereralized. What if you prefer the tone and performance of a svt over a walter woods?