1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weight/dimensions of old Peavey Combo 300 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, May 9, 2018.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I know the old 300 Combo amps are god-awful heavy, but I’d like to know exact weight and dimensions. The online Peavey manual pdf doesn’t provide this information. Gracias.

2. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    I have one in storage and can get the dimensions for you but don't have a scale, so other than heavy as f*ck, I can't help on the weight.

SJan3 and Bruiser Stone like this.
  3. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I had one years ago but don't have numbers for you. What I can say is it was heavy as snot but as best as I can recall, I loved the thing!

4. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I would hate to put you out for a precise assessment of its breadth, depth, and crest, but I do remain curious if you visit storage for your own future purposes.

I am willing to accept your description of its ponderosity as if Peavey itself so specified.

5. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    You slipped in there on me SJan3 as I was thumb fumbling a reply to oldskoolskatedad and squinting at the blurry glow of my phone through dry contacts, but thank you as well.

You say you loved it, and I assume not because it was particularly portable. I’m trying to think of any other combo amps with as much power AND the ability to connect an extension cab AND 2 ohm capable. I think Peavey’s 210 BAM is the only other contender (?), but those seem pretty scarce.

SJan3 likes this.
  6. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I had one I bought new with the powered 2x10/horn extension. I sold it to a keyboard player, it was bad ass for keyboards. I think the actual weight was 98 pounds. One handle on the top and super awkward to handle. Honestly an 8x10 cab is easier to move. IMHO the tone was not great.

murphy and Bruiser Stone like this.
  7. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    I had one. I had to lug it up three flights of stairs for a gig once. Never again.
    My opinion was that it wasn’t really very versatile tonally, but if rock/metal was your thing it could do that easily, and could get very loud. The black widow speaker was the best version.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Rough sounding and not very deep sound...barky
    Hated it...hated the weight

Thummel likes this.
  9. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I really enjoyed the crossover, it got me into bi-amping. I went through a faze of collecting 70's & 80's Peavey gear about 15 years ago as people were practically giving it away. I never expected any of them to deliver the tone I was after but were great additions to the practice space.

20150603_111635.
    20150603_111424.

Grumry and Bruiser Stone like this.
  10. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    drool wowza for the white package...

I have commenced building my own Peavey shrine
    226E3BCF-C730-4B96-BA94-27060EC942A6.

Grumry and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I had a TNT130 and most of the combos from that era all had the same dimensions and approximate weight. Mine was roughly 75-80lbs. The 300 may have been even heavier.

12. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Sweet! "The Bass" is a pretty cool head. The Duece VT I found for $100 (with new tubes) is a blast to use with pedals and my Squire Bass VI. View attachment 3019741

13. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Actually, back in the day, it was "portable". Small footprint with lots of power. Weight wasn't a real factor as it was assumed a bass amp "should" be heavy!
    In fact, I'm sure I considered weight "a plus" back then, thinking that a heavy amp was a solid amp. Sounds crazy but we had yet to be introduced to the new wave of ultralight bass amps.
    Come to think about it, before I plugged into my 1st quality micro rig, I was very skeptical about their performance capabilities.

14. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Combo 300 dimensions:
    Width - 24"
    Height - 27 1/8"
    Depth - 13"

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  15. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    Not sure what dude at Peavey decided that one handle on top was enough, but a pair of recessed handles like they had on the cabinets would have made a lot of sense.I liked the sound of mine that I had back in the 80's, and with a modern pre amp pedal I could use one today.Nobody has answered your original question but if you can't find the dimensions try looking up a Databass they sure look like the same size.

DLEE likes this.
  16. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    It was the depth that made them so tippy,every crack in the sidewalk was an opportunity to lose it,thankfully they could take a licking and keep on ticking.

SJan3 likes this.
  17. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks! I thought they would be a little deeper than 13”.

18. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    You beat me to it :) Yeah, at that depth I imagine they would be top heavy. I think the Combo 300 is just too big for what I want, but something like the Minx is too small. I want something with an extension cab jack but managable to transport. My 15” cabs weigh 77 lbs each, but recessed side handles make moving them fairly easy (and why I got 2 matching singles). I think Peavey made 12” combos that had a jack for 8 ohm cabs. I could hook up one of my 15’s to something like that and get a little more umph out of it.

spatchthepunk likes this.
  19. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    If you are planning on moving it about fairly often I would definitely go another route, and quite possibly forgo a combo all together, especially seeing as you already have cabs. Just my 2 cents.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  20. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I think you have wisely talked me out of overthinking this.

21. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Personally I am super smitten with the Fender Bassman Pro all tube amps and neo cabs and seeing as I don't need to rely on public transportation the extra bulk is not an issue. That being said, there are so many awesome class d options these days that if I wasn't addicted to tube goodness, I would definitely go that way.
    20180307_161401.

spatchthepunk and Bruiser Stone like this.