Weight? How does it break Down,Body,Neck,Ect....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Wondering about building a bass and prdicting what it will weigh?

Or whay would a passive P bass built with a 4 lb 10 oz body come in at?

2. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I think the body weighs the most! haha...

Well i have a maple neck and the bass wieghs about 11 pounds and...For some reason the SX SPJ-62 wieghs 7 pounds thats like Solid Alder body and maple neck with rose wood fret board... hmm.
  3. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Bump coz I wanna know too.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It all depends ...my Tobias Classic 5, has a pretty small body but you can feel how the bridge is really heavy and this balances the whole instrument!

Obviously a massive bridge helps with sustain and has advantages, but it might unbalance a bass with a bigger body...?

Often, I've read that bass designers will choose hardware to compensate - so like very light tuners, to avoid neck dive - I think you have to factor in these things as well?

But ultimately a bass that balances well, is infinitley preferable to one that is a few pounds lighter, but has neck dive...:meh:
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Lets say Fender Bass

6. Best place to check out fender bass weights... would be the fender website!
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What I thinking is if you were to diasemble a typical P bass that weigh's lets say 9 lbs what might the body weigh what would the neck weigh? what the tipicle variations? IE with a 10 lbs bass is all the weight change in the body? do necks change much?

Finally what does the tuners weigh and the electronics?

8. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    On average a Fender J in the 9-10 lb range would be 6-7 lb body , and 2-3 lb neck, that's with all the accessories, without, you have to take off at least 1-1.5 lb from the body and 1 lb from the neck.