Weight Loss!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Jan 1, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Damn you fat!

I have questions for the folks here to answer. they are about weight loss. I dont know why i typed that...

Anyhoo, im 17, 6'7" and around 230lbs. Alot of that weight comes with the height, but theres still a bunch of fat id like to get rid of. When i told me pa that i wanted to be under 200 by the end of the year, he said it was unrealistic, but then my bro chimed in and said that thats not true, mainly because he lost almost 20 pounds in a month and a half by eating less. What do you guys think? Is 30 pounds in a year unrealistic or just challenging? oh, and finish reading the thread before you reply, so that you know what i have planned.

My plan is this. I'm going to stop eating all sweets, drink nothing but water and skim milk, and alot of water. Go to the gym 5 times a week, doing weight training every other day and cardio every day. In addition to sweets im going to cut out other foods that are bad as well, like chips, peanuts, etc. The food that i do eat is going to be healthy, fortunately my mom is a really good cook and can cook up a storm. I'm going to stop taking seconds, basically after one fulll plate of food my dinner willl be done. For breakfast, im going to be having either peanut butter on eggos or a bowl of cheerios, for lunch usually a sandwich, hotdog, leftovers, etc. Dinner will be whatever my mom makes. I go to university in september (hopefully) and when i do i know all my eating habits will change drastically. Ill figure that out when i get there. I also plan on taking a walk after everytime i eat, to store as little of it as fat as possible. Finally, im going to walk to everywhere i can, and drive to the other places. Do you all think that this is enough to drop 30 pounds in 364 days? And anyone got anything else to add that i could do to drop some weight?

On a related note, i find that my hunger when im sitting is way worse than when im standing. I could be full and content, then sit down, and ill be starving in 5 minutes, when i know that my stomach is full. Then, when i stand back up it goes away again. Anyone else ever experience this? got any tips to help me with this? Thats kinda why i plan on doing the walk after i eat, to make sure that im not hungry.

whoo, long post. Any/all advice is appreciated, and i will be forever grateful!

Edit: I am 100% serious about this plan as well, to prove that i can truely say that over the entire christmas vacation (new years eve excluded) the only thing i drank was water, i didnt eat a single chocolate, i went to the club of the resort we were staying at every day, and tried to eat a little less.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I don´t know much about dieting etc. but when you feel hungry even only 5 minutes after you ate, then drink water.

People often think they are hungry when they are in fact thirsty.
  3. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hard to say without seeing a picture of you. Your goal seems reasonable to me though.

Keep a bottle of water by your bed at all times. When you get a hunger pang, take a drink of water and go back to sleep. You won't be tempted to get a night snack.

Eating heavy before bed isn't good either. Plan your last heavy ingestion of food hours before bed.

You mentioned hot dogs.. avoid them. Unless you meant franks or smokies as the odd treat.

Most importantly, run your idea by your family doctor and seek their advice on attaining your goal.

Good luck,
  4. 30lbs in a year is a totally reachable goal IMO.

When it comes to staying healthy and watching your weight I will say what doctors have been saying for years.

Everything (food & drink) in moderation and exercise.

Things like watch how much sugar is in your food. Soda, in my new opinion should be treated like a dessert, not something you drink when your thirsty. All sweets in moderation.

Watch your saturated fat intake. Some fats are good like what's in Olive oil.

Watch you carbs. Like fats, there are good and bad carbs. Stay away from processed carbs like white bread. Eat whole-wheat. starchy foods as well, something like a baked potato or pasta has a lot of carbs and jacks up your sugar. Your body's natural reaction to this is to produce more insulin to offset the high sugar in your blood and as a result will leave you feeling hungry and you will eat more.

It's really the key.

Besides what I learned from being diabetic I recently watched a program on PBS about weight loss, it really went into our current lifestyle and why we have an obesity and diabetes problem right now. Also it mentioned why most diets don't work. Diets like Atkins, weight watchers,.etc are all based on a gimmick that you will eventually stop doing and go back to eating what you have before and gain the weight back. Watch it if you get the chance, I think the program was a series called Front Line. It went into every imaginable topic about weight loss. One more interesting point they had, low fat cookies, crackers and ice cream (etc..) are 100% totally bogus.

Once you loose the weight you want, eat sensibly and get a little exercise in. Also one more tip, it is better to eat smaller meals a day more frequently than to have three large meals a day.

Oh, and peanuts are not bad for you in small servings, they are in the good fats group. I think it's just the high salt content.
  5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    The other thing is that i kinda want to get into this without going crazy about things like carbs, etc. I''m trying a "common sense" diet, where i exercise and eat less, and avoid food that i know is bad for me, like sweets, pop, etc. I'll learn about that stuff if this plan doesnt pan out, but id like to KISS (keep it simple stupid)
  6. I think everything I mentioned is exactly that.

It's more about making yourself aware of what you are eating, not a diet. Instead of an intense work out, go for a walk.

My point was to back up the doctors advise.

Moderation and exercise.
  7. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    If you are not Obese (and you are not) you should focus on health rather than weight loss. The main reason that weight loss programs fail is because they are too hard to stick with. Cutting out soft drinks all together for the rest of yourlife might sound good, but switching to diet pepsi is much easier. Cutting out all sweets may seem like a great idea, but very hard to do. Simply having a reasonable calorie/fat intake per day is much easier. The key is eating healthy and having a steady exercise program. DO NOT do any extreme dieting or exercise..You can't keep up that forever. The best and most effective weight loss programs are called "Lifestyle Changes". 3-5 hours of aerobic exercise a week and eating healthy should produce great results. Remember........work smart, not hard!
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    this is a lifestyle change.

Im serious, ive basically lost the taste for sweets, pop, etc. Besides, water is just so great!

and im going to see the doc soon, ill menntion it when im there
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just paying attention to what you eat, and being physically active every day (doesn't mean heavy workouts, just brisk walking every day helps) will peel some poundage off you. Water is good, but don't overdo that either. I had a friend who got water-happy and ended up in the hospital with hyponatremia (salt deficiency). She almost died. Of course, that is an extreme case, but you should drink around eight 8-oz glasses a day. Don't drink distilled water, though- apparently that was my friend's problem. It ended up leaching essential salts and minerals out of her body.

I also plan on losing weight this year, I'm a shade under six feet, but am way heavy at 265. Most people guess I weigh about 220, but I "wear it well", so to speak. My goal is no more than 225 by next year, and eventually to get down to the 190-ish range. I will do this by drinking water instead of sodas (even though I drink only diet sodas now, anyway), limiting my caffeine intake, and eating more veggies instead of carby snacks.

When I was in my twenties, I ate nothing but salads with vinegar or lemon juice for a whole summer, and rode my bike about 2-300 miles a week, and got down to 180. I was too skinny at that weight, and it actually hurt to lay down. 190-200 seems to be my ideal range for the way I'm built (typical Scot body-short legs, long-waisted, thick as a brick).
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a simple philosophy behind all this: what's common for all the people who look good, thin and healthy? A decent diet, and decent amount of exercise.

You change your lifestyle similar to that, and you are bound to start looking like one. You can't expect to hold a "fat man's attitude" and just add a bit of gym work, you have to change the whole deal.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You want to be under 200, and you are 6'7"? Serious??

Wow, I am 6'5" and I carry around 260 easily. I'm at around 280 right now. I'm not fat at all. I don't care for the 6-pack look, so I do have some padding on my stomach, but that's it.

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Im 6'7", but all my height is in my legs. i have the same size torso as anyone else. this means that the weight that i do have is a real beer gut, which sucks. Im not looking for a six pack, but it would be nice to be able to see ab. For all i know ill end up gaining a hell of alot more weight in muscle, which is fine. Also, im 17, so i guess in a way its an uphill battle, but in another way its a downhill battle...idunno, ill see what develops.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ahh OK. I come from a very large family of Austrians and Germans. Not only am I tall, I'm also broad.

You must look alot like Shawn Bradley. :D

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm 6'1 and weigh 206lbs. I would like to get to 190lbs. Part of what i learned is to eat your large meals early in the day and basically dont eat anything (besides water) after 7:00.

the other thing is portion size. that's my big problem.. I take too much. Now I am being really conscious about it and it seems to be making a difference. Seen that movie "the machinist"? that dude is skinny. he said that he did by simply not eating. i dont think that's healthy. but it just shows that portion size is very important. as long as you get your correct nutrients everything should work out well by limiting portion size. of course, its very important to exercise as well.
  15. Yeah that's very attainable. Say for example, that you aim to lose 2 pounds a week - that would take approximately 15 weeks, or almost 4 months. Sounds pretty attainable. As stated, just try for a sensable diet. Don't go for any of that no fat whatsoever diets, or those screw-all-carbs type of deals, they're not natural and not healthy in the long run. I just try to eat a high protein, reasonable amount of carbs of fat, and just try to cut down on certain TYPES of carbs and fats. Examples being sugars, white breads and things high in starch, white rice, saturated fats, etc. Also, especially if you want to maintain your diet in the long run, don't be afraid to cheat once and a while, maybe, for example, throwing in a "cheat day" once a week. Going to the gym is a great idea, and once you're in college, you'll be walking ALOT, which will really kick in. I'm in college myself right now, and although it's easy to eat healthy there, its also very tempting to eat unhealthy. There's a lot of fast foods/highly processed foods, so you need to watch what you eat. I live right next to a food court that has Pizza Hut and Chic-Fil-A. At CFA, instead of getting a fried chicken sandwich and fries, you can get a wrap, or a grilled chicken sandwich on wheat bread. Also, another tip is to try to eat smaller, more frequent meals than two or three really large ones. By doing this, it will help to speed up your metabolism and help to curb hunger pangs. Good luck in your quest.
  16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You know, I'm planning on doing this same sort of thing. I'm just going to try walking more, riding bike, etc. when I can; and then go to the gym as much as I can (goal is 5x a week). Then just try and be "out" as much as possible. I find that when I'm hanging out with friends, we're usually not just sitting around but doing something active. A buddy of mine needs a raquetball partner, and I guess it's going to be me.

As far as eating, I'm going to cut out pops/sweets as much as I can; but probably not entirely. I'm the kind of guy that gets annoyed when you're at a birthday party or something, and there's always that one person that says "no thanks, I'm watching my figure." The worst part is, my dad. He cooks crazy good, right? The problem is, he's trying to slim down too. So he makes sweets and crap, and doesn't eat them at all. It's just me and him living in the house... No es bueno.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    This plan is very, very, very attainable! I've lost 40 pounds or so (from 225 to 183) since April 05 by just exercising. I'm not sure how tall I am, but it's somewhere just under 6ft. To be honest, I haven't even really changed my eating habits much at all, just a general decrease in snacking. My natural build is broad shouldered and thick limbed, and generally pretty good. Unfortunately for most of my life, it was never noticeable because I was always overweight.

As for what exercises...run a mile on the treadmill. If there's a space outside (track, length of road, whatever) that you know is a mile long, then use that just 'cause running outside is nicer, but I just simplify and use the treadmill. Time it. Keep going for less and less time. Don't be discourage if you need a break or something, but just don't stop moving. At LEAST walk a brisk pace, but I will say this -- the first time, you will want to die afterward :).

Other than that, crunches (situps are bad for your back) and pushups regularly will do wonders. Just keep pushing how many you can do. Don't kill yourself, but push your limits every time.

General note: Assuming you don't hang out with a lot of jock-types (which I just assume is true) you'd be surprised at how few pushups your fellow students can do, even some of your guy friends that look to be in pretty decent shape.

EDIT: I forgot...good luck! There's a lot of people on TB doing the same thing, you'll get a (lot) of advice. I've still got plenty of work to do myself :).
  18. 30 lbs. should be no problem. I lost about 30 pounds in two months on the weight watchers program (everyone in my family has tried it once so i considered it to be a good idea). Your plan sounds realistic and should be easy enough if you stick to it. Try as much as you can to add little things to your daily routine that will help burn off extra energy i.e., if you go somewhere, park farther away in the lot to walk a greater distance, or use stairs instead of escalators, etc. I found that it's an easy way to get a little more energy used up during the day and eventually you don't even notice that you're doing it.
  19. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    A note baout fats: Do not totally strip yourself of ingesting fat, because you will actually gain weight. I did this myslef and was always wondering why I could never do things like fill up on salad or fruit. I later learned in school that fat is one of those things in food taht causes you to feel full, plus there are really bad health risks with being drastically below your healthy body fat range. Just keep that in mind as well.
  20. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The weight you are aiming at sounds insane to me, but I am built much like what bassic83 described.

When I got out of boot camp in the Navy, all my ribs were visible and I got very puny. I was sick often until I put a little bit more weight back on. I was 214 lbs at 5'11". So when all my ribs were sticking out, the insurance tables said I was still obese. Those charts say that for a large frame, at 5'11" I should be no more than 185. My bones weigh that much without me on them.

At 275 lbs I had a 54" chest, a 38" waist, and I didn't jiggle if I jumped up and down. I would love to be shaped like that again, but I know I'll never convince myself to work out that hard or that much again. It took about 3-4 hours a day. That ain't happening again.

I'm now about 310 lbs. That's fat. I admit it. But two months ago I was 324. I'm working on it.