weight matters to some of us...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Mar 2, 2024.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've been watching the spector performer 4 basses at sweetwater.

i've noticed over the past few weeks that the lightest one listed is the one that sells next, regardless of color. i've watched a bunch sell by now, and all the lightest ones are gone LOL not that the performer is a heavy bass.

GregC, Dominic D, Paco Leon and 26 others like this.
  2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds about right.

MCF and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Many bassists are obviously lightweights.

SeaDunk, MrB64, Formula73 and 13 others like this.
  4. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    There it is….

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

But does it balance on a strap with out touching it?

6. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    It was meant as humour as I've read pcake's struggles with injury and finding the correct bass.

FRoss6788, Robert B, J_Bass and 8 others like this.
  7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    My P Bass gets played a lot for many reasons, but that it's not heavy is definitely one of them.

pcake, I hope you find the bass that's right for you.

8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I’m sorry, I meant my response that way as well.

I’ll do better.

Thanx and cheers….:D

FRoss6788, Robert B, MCF and 7 others like this.
  9. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Santa Monica,CA
    A light bass is a joy to play.
    My lightest bass, Fender American P, is 7lbs 13oz, gets played the most.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’m not surprised by that.

Hey, P, why don’t you message your Sweetwater candy fiend and tell them your criteria? I bet they’d be glad to flag the best choice.

FRoss6788, sabre79, flewis and 5 others like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    A pint of vodka >> pint of beer.
    Now I know.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Probably not - 16th fret strap attachment means it's very likely to neck dive. Even if it doesn't, the reach to the first fret will be more than a typical FSO layout.

13. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Not to me.

629.gif

Todd Hamby, Dasgre0g, Jay2U and 5 others like this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Too light is bad. 7.5 - 9 LB is good for me but about 8 3/4 Lb is my sweet spot. Not my business what anyone else prefers unless I am building one for them.

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

On Thursdays I complained a lot about my shoulders hurting. My mom reminded me that I spent six or more hours at band practice on Wednesday evenings.

I doubt if I could do a five hour stand up gig with that thing anymore. Time was it didn't hurt at all.

16. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I totally get this. I’ve been known to contact my sales engineer and ask him to do an inventory search to find the lightest weight in the warehouse.

Dust2Dust likes this.
  17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For whatever reason (and there are many reasons one could cite as a root cause), heavy basses seem to be the trend (or the preponderance of widely available, non-custom instruments). While it is relative, I find it shocking that 9 and 10+ lbs basses are so widely available and purchased. I wish that:
    • Wood suppliers would sort and offer an up-charge, is that's what is required
    • Companies would make light-weight bodies more of a priority to source
    • Alternatives would be explored and offered more
    As with most things, it's all relative and everyone has a personal preference, but I own light and I own heavier, and I favor light almost every time that I can.

And....there are number of instruments that are on my "ready to buy" list that I've been actively watching for years and can never seem to find anything even close to acceptable to me, so the purchase is not made.

18. 2thAche

2thAche

Sep 22, 2018
    Atlanta
    Well, I get why sellers don't want to list weight. The fatties won't sell. But I was looking at AVRIs from a seller who won't give weights on their stock. Sorry, but I don't want the risk of getting the heavy bass so I'm not buying from that seller.

GregC, Robert B, chris_b and 3 others like this.
  19. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Agreed. I'm way more worried about my body weight than the weight of my basses. I've lost 24 lbs in the last 10 months. A few more lbs to go. My basses don't have to worry. The heaviest is 8.8 lbs. Lightest is 7.8 lbs. They all have no trouble maintaining their current weight. :thumbsup:

M. M.

20. thunesBARROW

thunesBARROW

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Weight matters a lot to people like me with a neck/spine injury.