Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weight of a Carvin DCM 1500? Web site says one thing, people here say another?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave64o, Mar 3, 2006.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm considering a new power amp and among the few choices I've narrowed it down to is a Carvin DCM 1500. One of the things I like about it (a lot, actually) is the very shallow depth (10").

And though I know you don't really get a lightweight amp for a lightweight price, I'm trying to find a good balance between price and weight as well. My problem is I've seen two different weights for this amp. Carvin's web site says it's 34 pounds, but when I was searching here I saw several people say it weighs about 26 pounds.

Can someone who owns or owned the current 2U model give me a definitive answer about its weight? Thanks!

2. The current catalog lists it as 26 lbs, I'm pretty sure that's correct.

I own the older (3u) model which is 34 lbs.

3. All I can tell you is, it's surprisingly heavy. You wouldn't think something so small would be so heavy. But it's good. And cheap. You don't find good, cheap, AND light. Depends what's important to you.

4. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I have the 2U version. It is a compact enough piece of gear that I wouldn't notice much of a difference between 26 and 34, but it doesn't feel that heavy. I would think the 2U model at 26 lbs is the correct weight.

5. I have a DCM1500 - the current 2U model- and my scales say 26 pounds, which corroborates Carvin's listed spec.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Carvin doesn't tend to keep their website updated all that well, IME...

MM

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Thanks for the info, everyone.

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Buy the Carvin, you'll love the power, and it's reliable too.