Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weight of a Steinberger XL-2 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kubla Khan, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here, been a lurker for awhile but thought I'd sign in. Always enjoy reading the posts on our favorite instrument.

Question: Does anyone know how much a Steinberger XL-2 weighs? I'm looking for a light weight instrument, but not sure if the composite makes it an even heavier instrument, even more than my Rickenbacker?

Any input would be mostly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kubla Khan

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hello, Kubla. Welcome to TalkBass.

I have an XL-2 and highly recommend it. However, I wouldn't say it's the lightest bass I ever played (That distinction belongs to a Warwick Dolphin Pro II). My XL-2 weighs between eight and ten pounds, making it heavier than my Fender, although less cumbersome to transport.

The MusicYo Steinbergers are lighter, of course, but not hte real thing. Composite Steinbergers are currently discontinued and few and far between, but maybe you can find one somewhere you could try. Good luck.

Will C.:cool:

3. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hey Thank you Big Wheel,

Yes, this is an old composite model. I recently injured my back and am looking for something with good balance and hopefully somewhat <i>lighter</i> than my Rick and second to the Dolphin, Alembic Mark King!

If the balance is good, that might make up for the 9 - 10 pounds, which is probably what the Ricky wieghs.

Thank you again.
    Kubla Khan

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, KK.

I think that the Steinberger would be a more comfortable bass to play than the Rickenbacker because its strap is designed to hold the bass at its center of gravity, not to mention the smaller size of the instrument.

Will C.:cool:

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I have an XL-2 also and find it to be rather light. In addition, it's one of the best sounding basses I've ever owned.

My only beef with the bass is that it rarely feels like it is in a comfortable position. I prefer playing a bass up high and attacking the strings around the bridge pick up. I find the XL-2 likes to slide to the right, thus always requiring a manual adjustment after each song.

If you hang the bass lower, however, I don't think this will be much of a problem.

Food for thought.

Bones

6. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hi Alembicbones,

Based on your name, I would guess you also have an Alembic bass. Which do you play? I own two, a Mark King fretted and a Europa fretless (both 4 strings). They are wonderful instruments, but oy the weight! Hence, my need for something to help my back out on those bad-back days.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Kubla Khan
    "...held within the Pleasure Dome"

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey KK,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I bought a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string yesterday and I had to set it up and put it through it's paces.

I own an Essence 5 string with the Vermilion top veneer. It's a great bass and it was my introduction to the "low pass filter". IMO, that's the true soul of the Alembic, along with the craftsmanship of course.

Your two Alembics must sound awesome. I love the body style of the Europa. My dream bass would be a Europa 5 string with Series II electronics. Maybe some day.

Recently, I picked up the SF-2 superfilter. If you're looking for a cool complement to you system, give this baby a try. The tonal possibilities with your Alembics would be endless.

Best of luck in acquiring an XL-2

Take Care,

Bones

8. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hi Bones,

Congrats on your new acquisition! That's great news, please give us a detailed review on that Deluxe 5. Is it your first non-4 stringer?

Yes, Alembics are awesome, I bought them before I was married when I had more money! I probably won't be purchasing another one soon, will have to wait for my mid-life crisis (which isn't all that far away). A Europa with series electronics would kick butt. Alembics are amazing instruments, if they're your cup of tea.

I have some great news to share too, a left-handed XL-2 is one its way to me as we speak. Should be here by tomorrow! I hope the weight doesn't kill me, but I got a terrific price on it, hopefully if will be in the mint condition specificed. I have no reason to believe otherwise, the gentleman who sold it to me has been great the whole way.

I will give you an update/review when the 'Berg arrives!

Thanks for everyones input, what a cool site with cool people.

Kubla Khan

9. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Sorry Bones,

My short term memory tells me that it's not your first 5'er.
    Let me know how it compares to the Essence.

Kubla Khan

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I got the exact weight of the XL's from a Steinberger brochure. It is 8 1/2lbs. I just got a mint XL-2 that was NOS/Demo from a music store. I've waited 20 yrs. to get my hands on one of these. This bass kicks some serious butt!!! I also play a P-bass and a Warwick Thumb bass so beleive me when I say that this is the most comfortable bass I've ever owned. It will definitely help your back out, plus the way the bass hangs everything is within easy reach. If you get one pick up a string adapter from Music Yo.com so you can use your favorite brand of single ball end strings.You can also check out the Steinberger World club on Yahoo for in depth info on "Bergers" Hope this helps!

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Almost forgot! There is a nice XL-2 on Gbase.com for sale.

12. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Groove,

Thank you very much for the weight info. I've contacted everyone under the sun to find out, including Steinberger, to no avail.

The UPS tracking site tells me that mine (a lefty) will be arriving today! "It was an early morning yesterday, I'm up before the dawn..." Just a bit anxious here.

I've heard Warwicks can be a bit on the heavy side. Will check out the 'Berger club, and again, thanks for the input.

Kubla Khan