1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weight of bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jao6859, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Jao6859

Jao6859 Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Danbury CT
    So I own about 10 basses. Weighing from 8-12lbs. For me personally, the weight has never changed the playability of a bass. I actually somewhat prefer the feeling of a heavier more solid bass... However people on this forum are sticklers when it comes to the weight of a bass.

Why does just about everyone on here want the lightest bass possible?

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Because we're old or we're tired or we have health issues, and we learned long ago that a bass does not have to be heavy to be good.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    For 20 years of playing I said the same exact thing. Then I learned what its like to have lower back pain, despite what kind of physical shape one is in (I'm in pretty excellent shape). Suddenly - weight not only mattered, it became the most important factor in bass choice.

If you're lucky, you'll never understand.

4. I have basses that weigh from about 6 pounds to about 10 pounds. I once got rid of an RD Artist I bought new in ‘79, because it weighed over 14 pounds. It was almost bigger than I was.
    From what I’ve seen here, most people who make a big deal about it, do so because of back injuries which effect them.

BazzaBass, DJ Bebop, Sixgunn and 4 others like this.
  5. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    How old are you ?

6. Lighter is just easier and more comfortable. My lightest one weighs about 6 lbs. Younger folks don't mind heavy, I didn't. But at 55 heavy gets heavier as the night wears on. For me now, too heavy for 4 hours is about 10lbs.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As you get older and/or have back issues, it is a real concern.

For two decades my only bass was an 11+ pound 70s ash Fender. I never realized weight could be an issue. How at 55, I still love it, but have real issues playing it for a 3-4 hour gig, so it often stays home, even though it is a part of my musical life.

petrus61, DJ Bebop, kazuhank and 2 others like this.
  8. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wimps

jimmyb, DJ Bebop, BK bassist and 7 others like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL... I went from THIS in 2014...

Make My Music Man Lighter!

To 6 and 7lb basses in 2020.

As I said to the OP, hopefully you'll never understand :) .

10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    /how long are your sets?

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have an 8.5 pounder, a 13er and a bunch in between. People like what they like for various reasons. I’ve had some back issues that have limited my ability to haul and use certain equipment...no limitations in basses so far luckily.
    When I see threads/posts about spending time and money to shave ounces off of basses I feel fortunate, and also happy there are good options to keep people in the game more comfortably and for longer.

(Also, more 10+ pounders for me)

murphy and staccatogrowl like this.
  12. I'm like you, OP. My basses vary in weight and It does not bother me.

staccatogrowl likes this.
  13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This this and more this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Anything over 10-12 pounds I kinda fiqured out after giving it no thought for so many years came to the realization the weighty basses kinds make my lower back ache after three or four hours. So for long jams I'll bring a less weighty bass.

But when it comes to buying basses weight has never been a consideration for me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    DJ Bebop and staccatogrowl like this.
  15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had light instruments in my stable for most of the 50+ years I've played. My first lighter bass was a Silvertone 1444 way back when and my current lightest are a Hofner Ignition Club bass that weights just 4-1/2 lbs and a Ubass that weighs under 3 lbs.

I've used light instruments all that time because I like them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    doctorwholittle likes this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    55, blown out lower back from mountain biking accident, typical gig is four hours. But I’m not necessarily looking for the lightest bass.

For me it’s got far more to do with the distribution of the weight than the total. My Steinberger L2 is just under ten pounds. I could play that for days. My Jazz bass is about 8 and a half. I don’t like doing more than an hour set with that one. My Corts are also around 8 and a half and I do my full evening sets with those, no trouble. Extremely comfortable. I tried out an 11 pound Warwick Corvette and made it through three songs before taking it off, and I was in some serious, serious pain for the rest of the night.

it’s all about how it hangs.

17. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    After some jobs, I can barely move and I find myself driving home with my leg folded like an origami. So yes, it is a concern for some.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Honestly I do not know why. A bass weighs what it weighs. I have basses that range from 8 lbs to 12 and I cannot tell a big difference even when playing long sets. I think some folks need a lighter instrument but a 1-2 pound difference on a relatively light instrument makes no difference to me, personally.
    There are 2 things I never knew existed before I joined this forum, weight and nut width. Been playing bass guitar since the late '70's including many years as a touring pro and I have never noticed either of those specs.
    To each, their own.

Auspuff, DrMole and staccatogrowl like this.
  19. A lot of it also depends on your size. When I had the 14lb RD, I weighed about 115 pounds and wore size 25” waist x 34” length jeans.
    Then I continued to grow into adulthood.

imabuddha, DJ Bebop and staccatogrowl like this.
  20. Back surgeries pushed me into lighter head/cabs, but I never weighed my basses (EBMM Stingray 4H's). I mean, everyone is different, but almost all the weight is going to be in the body on a 4 banger, right? Neck can't be that heavy. That is the torque I would be most worried about, but I also love my strap. It absorbs a lot of force (thanks neoprene!).

doctorwholittle likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020