1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weight of bows for solo repertoire

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TonyD, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hi - I have heard that bows designed for solo repertoire have less weight. Appr. 100 grams? Is that the case?

Did a search on Google, but could not find any answers...

2. Like any other bow, I think it comes down to a matter of personal preference and what works best for the player.

3. bassfox

bassfox

Jun 22, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    French or German? Rabbath is of the opinion that a bow should not weigh more than 135 grams.

4. yes I know - but I own a 100 gr German bow and this should be for solo repertoire ...(?)

5. Does your bow work for the type of playing you do? Mine is 141.5g and it is a great bow for both my orchestral and solo playing. When I audition bows, I don't consider weight at first; that is an after-thought. What works for one will not always work for the other. There are just as many great players with heavier bows as there are for for lighter ones. If it is doing the job, consider yourself lucky and just enjoy it. I wouldn't think about the numbers too much.

6. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Personally I liked bows that are a little tip heavy for solo pieces. 130-138 gram
    But don't just look at weight first. For many years I thought playing on bows under 140 grams was the way to go, so I never played anything over that. Until I found a bow I love that was 145. I don't even want to think how many amazing bows I overlooked just because of the weight.