Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weight of the EA VL-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't been able to find any specs on the older EA cabs. If someone can help me here, please.

-What does the VL-210 weight?
    -What are the cab dimensions
    -What is the power handling?

These only came in an 8 ohm version, right?

Thanks for any info.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Outstanding! Thanks so much...I appreciate it.

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    If you get the VL210B, with the "upgraded" 10's, it'll weigh a little more.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, I'm looking at the one with the 105oz. magnets. So I'm assuming this is the heavier one.

What does the heavier speakers add besides weight? I'm thinking better lows and more power handling. Am I on the right track?

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'm just guessing here, because I bought my VL210B used, but after looking at the specs from Bass Gallery (above), I think the only difference may be a higher sensititivity. My 210B is also a 500W cab. I don't think it goes any lower than its 38Hz cousin (I could be wrong here, too). In fact, I bought an Acme B2 to extend the low end. I didn't think there would be such a large volume difference between the 93 dB Acme and the 95 dB VL210. Boy, was I mistaken. That's why I think the sensitivity of the 210B must be higher than 95. If Bob Gollihur were here I bet he could set the record straight. Anyway, the VL210 is a great cab. If only it weighed 50 lbs. like the Acme.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I love my V-210 I just bought for $400! I can't wait til I get another one.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Rockindoc, you haven't filled out your profile.:confused:

What amp are you using with your VL210B?

9. My VL-210 is 4 ohms, Jerry. I think it's an older one.

Aloha,

Jonathan

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't heard back from the guy, on his VL-210, but I'm thinking it's an 8 ohm cab. Which means that it won't work well with the Fafner.

But it will work great with the WT-800:) ...and the PLX/Demeter/F-1X.;)

Johnathan, I know this is a silly question but how do like the VL-210? I know that you don't keep anything that doesn't work for you, but I kinda understand what you look for, tonewise. Do you use the cabinet as a stand alone?

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I wonder if the cab can be re-wired to present a 4 ohm load? Hmmm.

I'll have to look at it when I get it.

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'm powering it with a WT800. It's a good match, and works for rehearsals, but with a loud drummist, the guitarist's 410, and a heavy handed rhythm player, I'm barely heard.

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Walter Woods Ultra 1200 watt amps are real popular with this cab.

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yike! That was my other alternative, the WT-800. But I do have the PLX'es, too.

15. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I usually got heard w/ this 3000W setup. Too bad I had to sell it. It was either the amp or a kid, so I kept the kid and sold the rig.

Oh, God - my tone is gone.

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That looked like a very potent rig. That's a same that you had to sell it.

But I sure understand responsibilities. You have to do what you have to do. Kid's are number one, in my book.

17. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    MMAAAYAN! (Texan making "man" a 3 syllable word). I bet that pair of EAs rocked. If one is good, two have to be better. That's why I got a second Acme B2. Tough decision, eh Creature? But thumbs up from me too.

And Jerry, I didn't mean to imply that the WT800 wasn't up to the job. Just that, in my situation, one cab isn't enough.

18. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I see, I just lent out my WT-800 anyway.

My usual situation doesn't require MASSIVE volume and I do have the PLX'es...a 1602 and a 2402, anyway.;)

19. I have a VL 210. It's about 3 years old or so.

Very heavy cab.

I user a Kern 777 preamp into a Crown K2 power amp. The power supply is ample. The Crown K2 is very heavy making my rig, while not large, a bear to haul around.

The tone is worth it.