Weight Question: Seperate Head & Cabinet Vrs Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruce Sproston, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I tried a 200 watt Yorkville BassMaster amp but found that @ 60.5 lbs, it was too much to carry and loading it into the back seat of my Toyota Corolla was a real problem. I traded down to a Yorkville 50 watt amp @ 30.5 lbs which is great for practicing and also fits easily into the trunk of my car. However, if I want to keep up with a drummer and 2 guitarists in a worship band setting, I'll need at least 200 watts. Does anyone know of any really good cabinets that wouldn't weigh any more than 35-40 lbs? I'd also appreciate recommendations on a good head to accompany the cabinet. The cost is less important than the quality, size and weight. Tks!
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    My personal recommendation would be a Mesa Walkabout Scout. It is a small combo with a huge sound, and while it would still be around 50 lbs, it is very portable and easy to carry around. The best part is the Walkabout head can pop out of the combo and you can use it on top of other cabs for bigger venues. The Walkabout is 300 watts into 4 ohms and I have never had a problem keeping up with 2 guitarists and a drummer with it. I picked mine up used a couple of years ago for around $700.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    going the head / cab route is much lighter in the long run. at least you can carry stuff separately, when you dont feel like being HeMan carrying it all at once.

but there really arent too many cabs that weight less than 50 lbs. and are in the affordable Yorkville price range.

BUT, something close is Avatar. they have their new "neo" line, which uses a much lighter weight speaker that has a neodynium magnet which is literally a 1/3 of the weight of regular mags.

4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That's interesting to hear, because I emailed Dr. Bass a while ago and they said that neo drivers would only save about 2 lbs per driver in their cabs.
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If cost is not an object, there is alot to choose from, although as others posted, you may have problems finding a cab in your weight category.

For heads, there is the Mesa Walkabout, Eden WT400 or 550,
    Thunderfunk, Walter Woods (although with the WW, you're getting into big dollars), Acoustic Image Clarus (TINY but great amp).
    For cabinets, there are ALOT of quality, small 2-10 or 1-12 cabinets out there. Check out EA, Epifani, Bergantino. They all have smaller cabs that sound great.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my rack/cab setup is nice, but pricey. RBI $300, Stewart 1.2 (1200w @4ohms) $600, skb 4 space rack $80, two aguilar gs112s ($370 ea, 42lbs each) pre and amp in rack is about 35Lbs.

maybe try the new yamaha digital head bbt500h model 500w into 2ohms, get a couple of their 4ohm 110 or 210 cabs
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you want light, price had better not be an object. So, EA wizzy combo? Under 50 pounds, 500W.
  8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Ampeg makes some very lightweight cabs that have a telescoping handle and wheels that tilt back and roll like luggage. They weigh less than 50 lbs. each. As far as a lightweight head, I'd look at the Peavey ss line.
  9. Thanks for all of the great suggestions; will certainly take them into account on my next purchase!