Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weight training and exercises for D-Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Baron von Basso, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    I've heard so many different reports on what exercises are good and what aren't for string players. In "The Athletic Musician" book it is advised to NOT do weight training for upper body but a sports medicine doctor/bassist told me that that was wrong and a little weight training is important.

I have the sort of muscle imbalance that is common among string players-my shoulders come forward more than they should. I've heard that repeated playing causes the muscles in the front of the shoulder to strengthen and not the back of the shoulder so that the arm in the shoulder joint gets pulled forward.

I was wondering if anybody has good suggestions for this. I have resistance bands that I usually don't have time to do and dumbells (insert joke about stand partner here) but I'm trying to keep open to new ideas. Trips to the gym are hard to squeeze in.

2. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    News to me. I always thought lugging the thing around town was all the weight training a bassist needed. :D Personally I practice Ashtanga Yoga, but not specifically to help my bass playing.

Really you should get *some* form of exercise and some of it should involve weight bearing activity, but that's just basic health. Something beyond that to assist in playing? I can't imagine it, though I suppose stronger shoulders and forearms couldn't hurt matters.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you have adjustable dumbells and a decent adjustable weight bench, there's not a lot that you can't do if you are creative. My wife and I are considering looking at a bowflex machine, but that's mostly so we could each work out safely without a spotter. The only exercises I avoid for musical reasons are forearm exercises, which tend to make my hands feel stiff. Again, YMMV. Good luck.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think the important thing is not to take things to excess, whether it's playing or exercise. I've heard stories about overtraining the forearms, which can result in nerve compression or damage.

That said, I don't think most of us are going to reach the hulk-like dimensions where that sort of thing occurs. Just do a normal strength training routine. Don't forget the legs - we have to stand more than other players.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's not weight training, but learning how to relax when you play is very important as well especially for up tempo stuff.