Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird A String Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stevekim, Sep 16, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    When plucking my A string hard, i get a buzz. this only happens when the note begins to die, however. initially, the note will ring out strong and clear, buzz free, but as the note begins to die i hear a buzz. my relief is set higher than i would like to because of this. any ideas on what the cause could be?

-steve

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What bass are you having this problem with? Does it happen only with the open A, only when the string is fretted, or both?

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Do you have straplocks? I know of many people who payed many luthiers to figure where there buzz was coming from, but it was just the straplock on the strap rattling.:p

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i play a MIJ '75 fender jazz bass reissue. hmm....i didn't think to check the straplock. i'm pretty sure it's coming from the A string though. it only happens on the open a string and only at the very last few seconds of the note. the fretted notes sound fine.

-steve

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Check your action and the tension on the post.

The A on my MIM Fender is the only string I've ever had a problem with. It was caused by not having enough downward pressure on the nut (I cut the string too short, which didn't allow me to get enough windings on the post, so there wasn't adequate downward pressure on the nut).

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    that's good advice, hategear. i will try and see if i can rewind my A string to get it down lower on the post.

-s

7. What Hategear posted is a common problem in 4 inline headstocks. One permanent mod that will fit it is installing a string retainer that covers all four strings, or one that covers the A D and G strings. The A string is just in one of those spots that the tension can get iffy.