Weird Al Yankovic...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I read a blurb about Al in my city's local paper yesterday and I wanted to share my feelings with ya'll.

On Friday, April 9, 2004, Weird Al was scheduled to perform at Appleton (Wisconsin's) Performing Arts Center. Hours before the show was to begin, Al was informed that both of his parents had been found dead in their home, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning. Al played the gig as scheduled. This was heartbreaching to read, but I thought to myself, "Wow, Al's got more going on than I have, cuz I don't know if I could've gone on." I was impressed with his "the show must go on" attitude.

I guess I just wanted to pass this on and ask if anyone else had any opinions on the subject. Even though Al comes across as a goofball, I think this shows his dedication to his music and his fans, most of whom I'm sure were younger children. I wish Al all the best.

Here's just one of many articles I found on this story.
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Thats almost kinda creepy!!! I don't think..I know I would not have been able to play a gig on a night like that.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There is a "letter" from Al on his website which explains why he kept doing his gigs in spite of his parents death. If I remember correctly, it was because he felt that music had always given him and his fans so much joy that the best way to "get over" the saddness of his parents death was to bring joy to others.

It was a very noble thing for him to do.
  4. Nobody would have gave him lip if he didn't do the show. He probably better show up for the funeral though, missing that would be bad. Always tough losing friends and family.
  5. ... maybe, just maybe he killed is parents... thats why he showed no remorse to their deaths and just went on... :ninja:

:bawl: alright; thats a horrible thing to say, im sry in advance (and knowing u TBers are quote happy u'll probably quote me...), i just look at the negative sometimes... btw, i LOVE Wierd Al's song: Living in an Omish Paradise ;)
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You are right that is a terrible and unthoughtful thing to say.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did he like his parents?
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Read this and all will be revealed:

Message from Weird Al
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I read that on his web site.. Very sad..
    I wish him all the best, he's great.
  10. Al is a great guy, I actually met him at the Brown County Fairgrounds by Green Bay during the "Dare To Be Stupid" tour. We drove up from down by Milwaukee to see him, he seemed flattered- I got a jersey signed. He either wasn't feeling well or wanted to make time with the hot chicks that went to his trailer...

I don't buy his stuff anymore, but I still love the old stuff and respect the hell out of him.

Al, my deepest sympathies...
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    When I heard this I had one thought - What a professional! It was really too late to cancel the show. People would have understood, sure, but the truly professional thing to do was to realize that the show must go on. Everybody knows that Weird Al is a funny, entertaining guy. I've often thought that he doesn't get enough credit for his musical genius. Now when I think of him I think of his sense of humor, his musical genius and his outstanding professionalism. My heart goes out to Al and the rest of his family.
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thanks for posting that link, Mark.

I don't know how to say this without sounding cold, callous and bitter, but it's "funny" how when Brett Favre's father died, NFL fans and media did nothing but talk about what a stand-up guy he (Brett) is and how tough it must have been for him to finish out the rest of the football season, knowing his dad was dead, but when both of Weird Al's parents pass away, there's barely a mention of it anywhere. I mean, who would have given a **** if Al had cancelled a show in small town Appleton? Probably no one, but he played it anyway, because his fans were counting on him. In a situation like this, Weird Al is just as much of a "badass" as Brett Favre.

Was this story mentioned in anyone else's hometown? Has there been anything about it on MTV or VH1?
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It got a mention in Australia - probably more because of the bizarre circumstances of the death (ie both parents at the same time) than the fact that Weird Al was involved (although he had recently toured Australia).
  14. Don't get me wrong, I love Weird Al, but I think on the celebrity waiting list, Weird Al is standing in line, people get kicked off their tables for Brett Favre. Especially around these parts. The national news will cover Favre's opiate addiction, and might mention Yankovic's Nitrous Oxide addiction.

But I do agree, they're both dedicated performers, but the big difference is I think Al would have actually gone down with Michael Strahan on him. :D

BTW, I heard about his parents on Thursday from a friend, didn't hear a word about it on any news media, I heard about the "show business" aspect of it here.
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Munji I seen a special on him and he adored his parents and viser verser. They gave him the utmost support in music when he was growing up.. Sad day
  16. Man, I have a new found respect for him.

*digging around for my copy of Running With Scissors*
  17. hehe, i knew someone would quote me... so predictable :hyper:
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Then why say it in the first pace?