Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Al

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Would you cover any weird al tunes at a gig?
    yes/no

if so what would you cover?

my band were all weird al/frank zappa freaks, and im trying to get them to do weird als constipated, they're not too keen on it, but id love to do it, just to see crowd reaction, and to do one of the polka's :D , preferably the angry white boy polka :D

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    One More Minute...genius. Pure genius.

But you've gotta be able to pull off old-school doo-wop vocals, not as easy as it sounds.

The other guys never wanted to do one that was an actual song parody. I had a hard time talking them into the doo-wop tune. ANd then they heard me singing along to the Chili Peppers, but in stead of 'Give it away. Give it away. Give it away now.' I was singing "Yabba dabba yabba dabba dabba doo now.' Then I played them the Jerry Springer song, to the tune of Bare Naked Ladies 'One Week.'

They still wouldn't do them in front of people, but we did mostly originals anyway. But now we bring them out at jam sessions, if we are all there.

3. actually..the saga begins would be another good one now that i think about it :D great film clip too...

but i can imagine walking into a club hearing "why'd you have to go and make me so constipated, cos right now id do anything to just get my bowels evacuated, in the bathroom, i sit and i wait and i strain and i sweat and i clench and i feel the pain , oh should i take laxatives of just have my bowels irrigated" :D then a verse of incest..hmmmm...

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Youd have to do What if God smoked Cannabis at a Church gig

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Unfortunately, that's not a Weird Al song.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Pretty much any parody song gets Weird Al's name attached to it on the internet, p2p programs, etc. Which really can't be all bad for Al, but I think it's a bit of a shame he's "responsible" for several of the crappier tunes that unfortunately get his name put on them.

Meanwhile, think he's pretty hilarious. He's got such a talented backing band and doesn't seem to be terrible himself, I bet he could make it as a "legitimate" musician if that's what he decided to do with himself.

7. I've brought up the idea of doing one of his polkas, or creating a polka of our own in the same style. We've tried it at a couple jams, but it's never been worthy of bringing out on stage. We usually just end up doing one of the songs that we were trying to incorporate into the polka.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Weird Al is pretty cool. The bass player in his band, Stephen Jay has a BA and MM Graduate Fellowship in composition.

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm a huge Weird Al fan. The first concert I ever went to was when I was 8 and saw Weird Al in Chicago. As for covering one of his tunes, I've never really thought about it but I think it would be fun. He is genius. On the radio they were saying how his IQ level is about 120.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    According to VH1's Behind the Music, he's got a bachelors degree in architecture. Which isn't easy, by any means.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

That's done by Bob Rivers, a Seattle DJ who has done a ton of great song parodies. If you like Weird Al then you should check of some of Bob's "twisted tunes"

twisted tunes

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you are gonna cover him, you need to be a great musician
    as well as a great cover artist.

Few bands cover the genius bands WELL.

For Zappa, Project Object, with Ike Willis does well. If you like this music, go see them, btw their BP is great, Don ? Johnson iirc.

To do Al, you figured out it was not that easy to do the polka, the humor, the schtick.

Keep trying, you are now aspiring to work harder than you used to.

Can't hurt !