Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird American J Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockapede, Feb 8, 2006.

1. So I have an odd question. Have Fender Jazz basses always had the same exact shape? The reason I ask is because I offered to fix up my college's '92 American J and it just looks odd to me. I don't have a pic yet as my camera is on loan to a friend (I'll get one tonight), but the upper horn seems really large and less rounded on the inside that what I am used to seeing. The pickguard has eight screws, which also seems odd. Serial Number is N2 098636. I'm just curious, and wonder if this is even a Fender body, or if it is just a Fender neck. Any way to tell?

2. Yeah, the older ones had a funky upper horn. They're sometimes affectionately known as "boner basses".

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    You got a pic? If it's an early 90's model, I'd be interested in seeing it.

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

That is possibly what is sometimes referred to as the "Longhorn Jazz" bass (Not to be confused with the Danelectro which carries that name "Officially.") It was first introduced in 1989 and had a 22-fret neck.

There are a few TB'ers who have them -- do a search on the word "longhorn." (Here's a link to one that was for sale here)

5. No pic yet, because a friend borrowed my camera. I'll get one tonight. The "boner bass" thing I can definitely see....to bad the neck is realllly out of whack, I offered to trade my Dean for it if I can get the neck fixed, and my professor said ok....

6. It does have a 22 fret neck! How did I miss that!

7. I had one of those about 10 years ago. It was a really nice bass.
    Is your college's instrument a sunburst/rosewood job with a brass nut, by any chance? What's wrong with the neck?

8. The neck is bowed making the action really high....so the truss rod just needs adjusting. However, the dark stripe on the back of the neck is starting to crack along the edge a little bit. It could just be the finish, and it doesn't look bad unless you look really close, but it's easy to feel. This bass sat in a closet for a long time, so I'm thinking the neck was bowed for too long. Not a sunburst, it's a green metallic-y finish with a plastic (I'm assuming, looks plastic...) nut.

9. I adjusted the truss rod, and this helped a lot....I'll wait a couple of days and do it again. Do you all think that the stripe is something to worry about? If it's not I'm definitely gonna trade. This would be my first older bass (yes I know only 14 years...), is there anything else I should look for, warning signs of problems and such?

10. The stripe is likely OK, just keep an eye on it. That's about the age that the finish will fatique right at the joint between the two woods. It cracks because of neck flexing and expansion and contraction with weather but the stripe is solidly glued in place. If it becomes a problem with how the neck feels, you can use fine (400-600) sandpaper and "feather" the edges a bit to get rid of the sharpness.

11. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

12. Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

13. Whole thing...

Attached Files:

14. THAT is a nice colour.. not too keen about the boner though :eek:

Hope that neck issue resolves! There is a thread that explains everything about neck adusting glued to the top of the forum.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What kind of Dean do you have? It seems like you'd be getting the best of the deal by a vast margin if you make that trade. That is a USA Fender Jazz you're looking at. Quite a fine musical instrument that you'll probably want to keep for decades. Leave it stock, don't change anything on it!

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have one of those in midnight Blue. It's a great bass, and the 'long horn' makes for really nice balance. I've never had neck problems with it, and it was my main gigging bass from 92 until 2000. TBX tone control, with center detent, etc.

17. It's a Dean Edge Five......and yes I am getting the better end of the deal. The school knows that though, they just want to keep a decent bass for an ensemble in case the bass player doesn't own one. Since I'm the bassist and I do, this Fender has just been sitting in their closet.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have a Dean Edge 5. Great bass!!!!!! Not the equal of a USA Fender though. As a "decent bass for an ensemble in case the bass player doesn't own one" the Edge is fine. ....As long as down the road that bass player knows how to adjust a truss rod, because if your Edge is anything like mine, it needs regular attention in order to remain usable.

19. I definitely agree that it's a great bass, and I have been quite satisfied with it....this just happens to be an incredible opportunity lol. My Edge needed truss rod adjustment every few months, so I know where you are coming from there. I will say though, it was the best five string available for $400 when I got it three years ago, and I still have yet to play a better instrument for the price.

20. My girlfriend has a Dean Edge 4 and it is a great bass. I don't know how the longhorn's sound (probarbly the same as a normal jazz), but i don't think it looks as good. I've never seen one of these except for now.