Weird Amp Arrangement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by montrocity, Jun 4, 2003.

1. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    I was running two amps by connecting the effects send on the first amp to the input on the second head. The first amp developed a severe buzzing problem and I was wondering if maybe the ohms mismatch on the amp one's effects send and the input on amp 2 caused it.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big question is...............what amps were you using?....................does this 2nd amp buzz all the time now?......even when you use it by itself?..................i've used that setup a lot and never had a problem as long as i kept the gain on amp #2 low enough not to distort.....
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Doesn't that mean the second amp is receiving a signal that has already been amplified? I would have used the DI output or the line out.
  4. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    The first amp in the chain, I guess its the "master" amp is a hartke 3500. From there I connected the effects send to the input on a hartke 1400 combo. the 1400 is ok, it's just the 3500 that's screwed up. It's under warranty and I sent it in (they said 4 weeks turn around but I've heard they can drag their feet).

I just don't want to repeat a stupid mistake if I'm doing the wrong thing. Is it ok to only use an effects send and not the return? Or to send the output of an effects send to a standard input? In my very, very limited understanding of these things, if you create a circuit where the resistance is too low for one of the components you draw too much juice and fry something.