Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird amp event!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tomass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Something really weird happened at band prac today, my amp picked up a radio statio or well my bass did and it was going through perfectly. Has Any one had this happen to em,

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, even as far back as 1957 I had it happen with my electric guitar and Gibson amp. I called a local radio repair shop and happened to talk to a repair guy who was a musician. He said that my pickup and guitar cable just happened to be tuned to that radio station's frequency and was acting like an antenna. To get rid of it he suggested I get a different length cable.

I've had it happen a few times since. The last time at an outdoor gig and this time it was the keyboard player picking up radio. We were playing very close to a TV and radio station transmitting tower.

It can be annoying for sure.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Watch the movie Spinal Tap. It happens in the film and hilarity ensues.

4. bassisgood

bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Let me guess a 25-50 foot cord. My 50 foot cord will get am radio channels through the amp. They do that with the volume off on the bass. If you use a shorter cable to your bass the problem will be solved. Its kinda neat though by turning around you change channels and tune channels in. I have heard this many many times, with bassists and guitars at practises. Its kinda cool.

5. My mate once got German radio coming through his early 70's HH amp...VERY strange, especially as he lives in Barnsley...I've never had any radio stations blurting out from my amp, but if someone rings me wehen I've got my bass on it comes straight out of the amp - I remember (think I posted this story a while ago) I was doing a bass solo performance for college and my phone went off...the bass amp was connected to a 2k-3k P.A. and halfway through my solo it suddenly went off...it was a personalised ringtone - anyone know "area 877" by Melt-banana? - well it was the intro to that, it came straight through the P.A. system - "melt...BANANA!!!" - I was like "ahh - SH**!" and stopped playing...I was lucky enough to have the most relaxed teacher at college marking me, and he gave me a pass simply because it had everyone in stitches!

Guess I learnt my lesson on mobiles at gigs...I remember once I was just messing around (again at college) me and my mate were in a practice room and my mate was on drums, so I put a ringtone through the bass amp for him to play along to, as soon as I did that another mate came in "What the...?! - how do ya do that?! - I've never heard anything so crazy!" - I showed him and he said he'd do it at the next gig he did! (he was/is also a bassist...)

6. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    At the beginning of Weezers' 'Falling For You', Rivers' amp picked up a Korean radio station...the theme of the album was sort of Japanese and it fit well so they left it in...sounds good, imo

7. Happens to me more than I care to admit....
    Near by cell phones and two way radio cause disturbances too.