1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird Audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Foamy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'll try to keep it short.
    I answered a CL ad for a bassist for a Country band. I'm really a guitarist, but I've been playing bass for so long now...

I get their set list, and I pick a few songs that I played in my previous bands. I picked some of the more difficult songs too.

I get to the keyboard player's house - I'd been exchanging e-mail with the guitarist, the guy who runs the band - and we wait a bit.

The guy doesn't show up, but the drummer is there along with the keyboardist, a fiddler, and an acoustic guitar player.

We start to do some of the songs, and they all go well.

The main guy shows up about 40 minutes late.

He asks me if I'm the guy who played before with "Betty".

Umm.....I don't know Betty, and politely say so.

Then we go over a couple real easy tunes. Stuff I can do in my sleep! Hicktown and Folsom Prison Blues.

Are you kidding me? THAT's the audition?

Then the guy basically tells me that he only wanted to keep me about an hour, and that they needed to work on new songs. I'd been there (being on time and all) for about an hour.

Eh, whatever. Body language was weird in that while I was packing up, he was basically going through his guitar case and doing who-knows-what.

So either I was so good that I knocked their socks off and left him speechless, or the guy had something else in mind.

Oh well, I've got thick skin and who knows? The feedback I got was all positive from the ALL the guys except the main guy (who basically said nothing).

Just weird, and I'm glad I can get it off my chest.

Cheers!!

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    "All auditions are weird"

blue

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well put.

4. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Agreed I have yet to have one that has not had a weird moment

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Maybe he was 40 minutes late and then quiet after the audition because something bad happened in his personal life?

6. Third!

I had a weird "jazz" audition today in which the guitarist was all over the place, the singer was singing over the horn solo, AND they needed the power strip that I always keep with me (just in case) to power the rest of the band.

:confused:

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    That's even weirder than mine, in a weird way.

8. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Auditions are like blind dates. No matter how much research you've done on them you go in kind of blind and sometimes leave with more questions than answers. Keep trying - something will sync up when you least expect it to.

9. I had an audition about a year back where....well, I'd been contacted by the lead guitarist and we met up at a bar, where he explained that the current bassist wasn't really happy playing bass and could also play guitar and keyboards so they wanted to bring in someone else for the low end so he could switch to one of those instead, fill out the sound more.

Later that week, I drive 45 minutes to their space. I show up, they're playing. After they finish the current song they break to greet me and have a smoke. I set up. They come back in the room, we start playing again and about 10 seconds into the song I hear another bassline that's not mine.....the guy's ALSO playing bass. I figure "uh, okay, roll with it." Of course it sounds terrible. The song doesn't end tho, it turns into a 20 minute jam, segueing into another long jam. I'm just shaking my head but keep playing. Low end is a big jumbled wash.

At the next break, the rest of the band files out of the room for a smoke, I turn to the "other" bassist and ask what's going on. Weren't you planning on switching to keyboards? Oh, I don't have a keyboard. Well, there's a guitar right there, are you going to switch to that? I don't like playing guitar. Why are you asking?

As it turns out, guitarist hadn't told anybody else in the band about his idea, including the bassist. None of them knew I was coming or why I was there. They were just real friendly guys figuring the more the merrier, let's let this new guy play too, he must be a friend of the guitarist.

I email the guitarist the next day, asking him *** was going on, and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about, he never said the other guy was switching instruments, and he just wanted to hear what the band would sound like with two bass players at once and that was "our" plan all along. Oh and as it turns out, he didn't think it sounded very good, so thanks for my time.

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I want to hear what happens next so let us know if they call or whatever please

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    <caps>***</caps> indeed!
    What a clown!
    Man, I think mine was just a case of bad manners. I'll count my blessings and be happy I've not walked into some of the things you guys have.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This has been my experience auditioning lately.

13. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    If the singer is showing up 40 minutes late without notice and looking to get you out of there after a span of time that's just around the time it would be "polite" to have you there then I would say that it's a band issue and not you.

To me it sounds like the singer had a bass player in mind that wasn't you and got told that they were auditioning you. I would think that it's not you personally but sounds more like you're just not the person they had thought would be there.

And for the record....showing up 40 minutes late to rehearsal is one of those things that I loathe.

14. Sounds to me like you've got your sh#$ together but the band doesn't. And their singer sounds like a primadonna.

15. I had a strange one as well. Met at the leader's house without the drummer who apparently has better organizational abilities. Dude plays a few songs he has written from his Reverbnation page, talks a little about his last band fiasco.

I ask him things like the band structure (am I a hired gun or full member with input, where does he want the band in 3 mos, 6 mos, a year and how many members does he ultimately want, how often they want to practice) and I get a lot of mumbling and gobbledeguk.

Figuring I was being shrugged off I said to call me when they get set up if they want me to come out and I get more shrugging. I get home and find I have been made an admin on their facebook page.

Right now I have no idea where they jam, when they are going to jam or whether they want to record bass tracks for what they have...

16. slaps76

slaps76 Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    You should put up a post on their page "disorganized band needs new bass player."

17. i've got a GREAT one! a few years back, i went to an audition for a jazz trio with a drummer and a guitarist. i talk to the drummer and find out it will be at his place. so i drive over to his pad, which happens to be with his parents and little brother and about 8 dogs and 5 or 6 cats... ALL IN THE HOUSE! there is crap and pee everywhere and dude has his drums set up in the living room of his parents house. keep in mind, this guy is about 30-35 years old. his dad is sitting on the couch in his underwear! and his little brother is watching TV, which is about a foot away from the drums. the whole house reeks of nasty animals and his dad and little bro tell me they are gonna sit there and watch TV, not to worry, don't mind them. so, the cartoons are blaring and the drummer informs me that the guitarist couldn't make it. so we start to jam alittle, and this guy is the cecil taylor of the drum world, free jazz, racket mess. he told me he was all into art blakey etc. but he was just a friggin idiot. stayed for about two "songs" and had to stop because the urine smell was burning my eyes. i high-tailed it outta there as fast as i could. and the worst part about it all, was the guy called me a million times after that about being in the band. like some crazy stalker desperate ex-girlfriend. i thought he'd never give up.

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yeah, thinking more about it, this makes the most sense. Good call.
    Man, reading these stories...
    It's good to get these out where we can all read and enjoy them!
    Thanks!

19. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Hey... I think I've been to all the same auditions. And then some! You have to "pre-screen" the auditioners (executioners ???) as best you can, but sometimes the BS slips thru the cracks. I'm sure I've even talked myself out of legit situations because the pre-interview raised my waste-o-time meter. All part of the fun of being a working musician.

20. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Guess I'm lucky since I've never had a crazy audition. The craziness usually begins a month or so later after I've already invested some of my time.