Weird band idea

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    What'd you think about an instrumental Surf band featuring Double Bass (pizzicato), Baritone Guitar and a Fender Strat (clean) taking the lead?

Wouldn't that be cool?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hope you don't mind an "electric" bassist chiming in here, Buddy. But when I saw "Weird band" in the thread title, that always catches my eye because, quite often - it's not as weird to an audience as it is to musicians.

No one in my region of the US thought a live rave band could get booked. While it's not my main band, we took a chance and we make stupid money playing techno/trip-hop live. So, I think your concept is definitely worth a try, at the very least.

FWIW - The double bass thing with the Stray Cats was pretty obvious and actually, the "authentic" rockabilly bass, so I discount that.

But there is a successful band, The Living End, that plays straight up punk rock and the bassist uses a double bass. He's not just "theatrics"....IMHO, he can play it respectably well, (based on the very little I've played the double bass). One of the first things that band's fans always seem to mention is the "warmth" of that bass.

Scott of The Living End -

3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    It's not that I think a Surf band with double bass would be that odd...

But the more I think of a band in the instrumentation mentioned above playing straight Surf music, the more does it appeal to me.
    I don't think there's any band like that out there.