Weird Bass Effect

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Mar 27, 2002.

1. So here's little old me. I'm sitting here writing out the Majors and Minors of all the notes just for posterity when I think that it would be cool to find the middle of a bass string using pitch instead of measurement.

So there I am, sitting on my bed with my 34" scale Spector NS-2000Q4 and I begin to fret the 12th G fret.

--Neck Side----|G, 12th Fret|----Pickup Side--

I play the pickup side, it's a standard G.

I play the neck side of the string and it's slightly flat, but still registering as a G on my tuner.

This seems wholly pointless so far, but it's weird that when I played the neck side, the sound was quite strange. It was a Gb, but the sound had an effect almost like a chorus. I check the effects pedal/tuner that I have, all the effects are off.

Does anyone have any clue why this is?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Always difficult to tell without seeing it first-hand, but I am pretty sure this is a set-up thing - so what this is telling you is that your nut slot for this string had been cut too low - presuming everything else is set up to optimum levels.

So - the string is vibrating against the board, like fretless "mwah" because it is too low at the nut. Either you want the saddle to be raised at the bridge or you need to build up the nut slot - ideally with something like ground-up dust made from the same material as your nut and quick-setting glue.

Or you could get a new nut - not that expensive!