weird bass humm thing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, May 23, 2005.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    hey there! erm ive got a weird problem with my bass atm, basically if i turn the tone up on my bass (a precision) i get a really irritating hum, almost as if you have the gain turned up real high. but the strange thing is that when you touch any bit of metal on the bass like the knobs or bridge, the humming stops!

has anyone got any bright ideas whats causing this? and how to fix it? thanks very much!
  2. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Sounds like a grounding problem. Does the outlet where you plug the amp in have a ground wire? Try a different outlet and see what happens.

If that's not it, then there might be a grounding problem in your electronics. Can't help you there.

Good luck.
  3. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    You are probably the source of the hum as your body picks up the power line frequency from the environment. Test by setting the bass down and moving away and see if the hum drops.

Improve the situation by making sure the strings are grounded. Normally this would happen unless the bass has coated strings if the bridge is grounded. If the strings are grounded, then the player will be grounded when they touch them just like when you touch the knobs now.
  4. yeh most defo a ground problem. get some contact spray and give the circuit and ground wire which should under the bridge a good spray.