weird bass instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitehouse, Oct 2, 2002.

1. this weekend, I was somewhere where a bassplayer played, and I could not believe my eyes ..
    he played a slapstick and something else...
    it's red, 4 strings , about 40cm long, with some sort of elastic strings wich produced some sort of unfretted sound .. does anyknow know what this is ?? ..
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Perhaps one of these?
  3. yesssssssss !!!!!!!!! from wich planet do those aliens come from ?? :p

by the way.. wich company produces the slapstick ?
  4. It's a DeArmond Ashbory. They are pretty cool, but IMO nothing more than a novelty bass. They retail at about $250, IIRC, but can be gotten for less on the used market.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    My bass Prof. grabbed one last year, its pretty nifty, does a decent job caputuring that upright sound. I'd use it on recordings.. but I would never gig with it..
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think the sound is quite usable - cf. Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness on Joe Satriani's The Extremist. Doug Wimbish played an Ashbory on that one.
  7. i'd buy one if i got the chance.. but what i wonder.. what kind of strings do you put on it ? and where do you buy those?
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    THe strings are silicone rubber and dont need changing.
  9. they DO need changing .. look at this :

Alladox .. Musik Produktiv has them :D
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Look at what?
  11. sorry.. the link under the smiley (musik-produktiv)
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Ok found em under Fender Strings. You proved that you can buy them and that my German is woefully lacking :D it don't mean that they wear out.