1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird but (hopefully) good Idea for mod.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Twitch96, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Twitch96

Twitch96

Jun 1, 2012
    Right as this is my first post here I'll introduce quickly:

I'm 15 (However please don't treat me like a child if that's all the same to you if that's ok.) and have been playing bass for two years, with seven years music instruction. To imagine my style think RHCP-groove meets SOAD madness and NWOBHM old school, then reduce the awesomeness by 70%.

However my question: I am going to be heavily modding a 50's style Squier precision, to give it three pickups. A MM bridge, SD single coil precision quater pounder middle and a Sidewinder humbucker neck. I've designed the wiring design so the MM has active controls and the other two have passive. Like Billy Sheenhan's bass it will have two outputs, though I may have the design so you may use all 3 pickups from one output.

The reason for this is actually simple: M/N pickups can be sent to one amp for dry, slightly amp-distorted tone of Steve Harris or fore mentioned Billy (Probs a 2x10"), whilst the B pickup can be sent of to an effects laden amp, with smaller speakers (I.e a 4x8" perhaps) to give a more trebly sound. This means I can play some full on 80's bassline with a more modern edge (Chris Wolstenholme of Muse has a similar setup, though he uses PA systems for his, involving fundamental and effect laden rigs.)

My eventual plan is to have a solid state wet amp and a tube dry amp, where the wet is higher (Effectivly Bi-amping from the pickups using the subwoofer of the sidewinder and the more trebly Bridge MM Pickup) however thats money well into the future, for now my plan is to use this more for studio usage .

Some people may think this is crazy, or unnecessary but this was made from over a year of idea forming in part fuelled by seeing the possibilities of the 3-pickuped Warmoth Jaguar Bass. So other than 'Jesus Christ what are you thinking you mad mad person?!' what do people think?