1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WEIRD Buzz ...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Jul 19, 2007.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Okay, I've posted about this before, but I've got some more info. I get a nasty buzz on my E string on Bb-C (frets 6-8). I like my action low, so I do tend to get a normal fret buzz, but this is just an odd buzzing sound. Background ...

-it's a nice bass ... no junk here, and I've had it since '96 with no problems.
    -the truss is set with minimal relief ... I can hold down the A with my right elbow and still can compress the string slightly.
    -the strange, unearthly buzz occurs only on those notes ... and the weirdest thing I tried today ...

Stay with me on this, I fret an A on the D string (fret 7), and a Bb on the E ... my thumb (I use floating thumb) is muting the E string while I pluck the D string ... and the buzz happens!!! (Yet I can play that same A on the D string without fretting on the E, and no buzz.) That would indicate to me that it's happening in the first five frets (right?)

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Is this buzzing through the amp?

3. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Thanks for all of the help ...

To answer questions:
    -the bass in question is the Hamer
    -the strings are Chromes ... maybe 2 months old, but the same sound was evident with new and old strings, the old were roundwound
    -the problem is a new one
    -my apologies for the odd explanation ... I was muting the E string and fretting a Bb on it, but playing an A on the D string ... this phenomenon has oddly subsided.
    -and I'm not hearing it through the amp right now, just acoustically ... but I did hear it in my headphones when recording a few months ago, so I had to avoid that area on my E string altogether.

I did add a little more relief last night after writing ... made the Bb better, but the C (E string) still has the same odd buzz/rattle. I didn't raise the saddle, but I'll try that, too ... the thing is, the saddle is high enough that I'm not getting a "normal" fret buzz that would result from having the saddle too low, just the oddity

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If the string is muted on the bridge side of the fretted note then a sympathetic vibration could be set up between notes A and Bb setting the string in motion between the stopped point and the nut. It would not be strong but it could set the back buzz (string buzz between the stopped note and the nut) in motion.

Or it could be the vibrating string ringing through a pickup.
    Or it could be loose tuners.
    Or a truss rod with a corresponding resonant frequency.

But if it doesn't buzz through the amp it doesn't buzz.