1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

weird buzzing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shc1214, May 8, 2006.

1. shc1214

shc1214

Feb 24, 2005
    Leonia, NJ
    I've been experiencing a weird buzzing problem on my MIJ Fender Marcus Miller 4-string... when I play a 'D' (7th fret - G string) and a 'B' (7th fret - E string) at the same time, I get a buzzing noise. If I play either note by itself, no buzz. Funny thing is that 99% of the time it only happens at the 7th fret. So, I took it to a tech and he tightened my neck... then it started to buzz on the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th frets too. He told me that it was the truss rod that was buzzing inside the neck and that there was no remedy. :meh: So when I got home, I loosened the neck a little bit so that it would only buzz on the 7th fret. The buzz doesn't come out when I plug into an amp so at least I can still play it live. It's just really annoying. Is the tech's diagnosis correct? Any other theories?

2. NotDave

NotDave

May 11, 2006
    I have the same problem. When I play 8th fret on E string together with the 9th fret on G string, I get a buzz on the E string, between where I fret the E string and the nut. If I fret either string alone at the same frets - no buzz. But when I play them together, I get the buzz on the E string.

I don't think it's a broken or loose truss rod. If I dampen the E string between where I fret it and the nut, the buzzing stops.

By the way, I get the same effect on one of my acoustic guitars!

My guess is that it's a high spot at that part of the fingerboard. I'm not sure how that gets dealt with on a fretless, but i would guess that if can be adjusted on a fretted bass by finding the high spot and leveling it.

I would be very curious to hear any other input here.

NotDave

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    In NotDave's case, that could also be a high spot on the fretboard, but it could also be a nut that is jsut a tad low.