Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_like_feedback, Aug 4, 2005.

1. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004
    Allright, here it goes.

On my bass, i get a buzz when as soon as i begin to lift my fingers off the fret. Unless i whip off my fingers off the fret in .02 nanoseconds, it'll buzz. but will not buzz no matter how hard you play it open.

But i had my little brother press down on the area thats enclosed by the red circle (pictured below).
    [​IMG]

so he pressed on that part and i played that A string, and did not get a buzz.

My action is not low at all, so i dont believe it could be that

:help:

2. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004
    a guy gave me this explination:

"next time when you put strings on, make sure that you wind them down, so that the break angle over the nut is increase."

i didnt understand him :crying:

3. dumbdan162

dumbdan162

May 20, 2005
    when u re-string make sure that uve got the string as far down the machinehead thing as poss!! it keeps the tension tight on the nut. i cant really explain but come on u can figure that out?!

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My friend had this problem on his bass. He plays saxophone, but his sister used to play bass and when she moved out, she left her bass there. I think it was the E (it was either E or A) string which was not properly wrapped at the tuning machine. He thought the bass was broken, then I told him I could fix it in two minutes, and I did. He was quite surpised.

5. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004
    the red line represents how i would strin my bass

[​IMG]

i thought thats how you did it?

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I don't really get your last post, but you don't have enough downward force on your nut. You need to make sure that the string is wound further down on the tuning machine so it is at more of an angle.

Here is a side view of your headstock.

Attached Files:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    These drawings make me happy.

8. me toooo

:)

9. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004