Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird buzzing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    alright, my bass is buzzing, im not sure why, really. heres the run down of my observations-

1- the bass is a fender jazz, passive, 60s CS pups

2- The bass is wired correctly, just as it is suppose to be as said in many schematics from varied sources.

3- the buzz stops almost entirely when i touch the strings,the bridge, the control plate, or the tuning machines.

4- the buzz isnt on account of the fact that the pickups are being played at different volume levels, the buzzing is still there when both pups are full on

5- the buzz is not there when i play through a different bass, which makes me suspect the bass and not the amp, cable, or anything like that.

6- the buzz is not due to the amp being in a bad room, i tried it at many different outlets.

a solution to this problem would be real helpful-

SHarp

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like you have an RF problem. Have you tried the bass in a different room, or at a friends house? Do you have flourescent or neon lights? It could even be caused by a monitor or television.

The only sure cure is to fully shield the bass.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  4. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    do you want to eliminate the buzzing problem totally,get a set of EMG active pickups,they require no grounding at all,i have had experience with emg active pickups they r dead quiet,the only thing i can think of if you tryed everything and there is still buzzzz is maybe a fualty pickup,out of phase?,bad ground? ie: from jack to volume to pickup ect. passive pickups require your body to be the ground.thats why when you touch it the buzzing stops,good-luck...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Think about your signature a little more. :)

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    ok geshel whats wrong with my response?,how else do you figure why there is a ground wire( for passive pickups) to the bridge,it basically requires your fingers/body for the ground? aye?

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    1. your use of the term "ground" is misleading. Of course all pickups require at least two connections, a signal wire and a ground wire.

2. any electronics should be shielded against RF interference, active or passive. In the case where shielding isn't sufficient, the shield and the ground may be connected to the strings. This way, when you are touching the strings, you are acting as a ground plane which prevents much of the RF from interfering. So in a sense your body is "being the ground", but of course the ground is what's really being the electrical ground.

I'm not familiar enough with EMGs to know if they require, don't care, or suggest against grounding the strings. I do know they are very well shielded, so it probably isn't that necessary. However they still have all the same issues, if diminished. Hence the Flecktones piece "True North", where Victor could only get the buzz he was getting through his (EMG-equipped Fodera) bass to stop if he faced North. :)