1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird buzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jswinters, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jswinters

jswinters

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi al, I have a squire standard jazz bass for my son, and need some help with the wiring. Normally i would just let it roll.
    However, this bugs me. when playing the bass you hear a buzzing when you pluck the strings. You can put your hand on the bridge to quiet it down some. I replaced the 500 k pots with 250's. No dice. Also i noticed the neck pickup has white and black leads, while the bridge pickup has black and yellow leads. Could it be the pickups or grounding issues.
    I have looked for squire schematics with no luck just the standard jazz bass schematics. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sounds like a grounding problem. The usual culprit is the bridge grounding wire, it may have come loose. Changing the pots wouldn't help.

3. jswinters

jswinters

Nov 25, 2010
    I checked the bridge ground. Its good. Replaced the pots and now the buzzing is only when you dont touch the bridge. I looked for the post about sheilding, but the images are gone. any links to any other shielding tutorials? Thanks again, and have a great day.