Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird C thinger in notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What's the weird C thing in notation where the time signature should be? Is it just a shortcut for standard time (4/4)?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It means "common time" which is, as you guessed, 4/4.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Fantastic! How about a C with a vertical line through it?

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cut time. Twice as fast. As it is written, imagine that a quarter note is an eigth note.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It means 2/2. It doesn't make any difference to what's written, it just means that it's to be counted with 2 beats to the bar, if you see what I mean. It's generally used when the tempo is too fast to warrant counting out all four beats (e.g. when there's a conductor).

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I find that it's easier to just count cut time things in 4 when a conductor isn't involved.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, then you wouldn't be doing cut time.

2/2= 2 beats in a measure, half note gets one beat.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    2/2 and 4/4 are felt differently. 2/2 is felt evenly, while 4/4 is a compound meter where each beat has a different ammount of a accenting. 1 and 3 being the strong beats, 3 being a little less accented than 1, while 2 and 4 are the weak beats.

9. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm playing cut time I'm just counting it in 4. It doesn't matter if you say "1 2 3 4" or "1 and 2 and" the result is the same as long as you play the correct feel. I'm well aware of the different feels that's just how I do it haha. I just meant that I find it easier, mentally, to count in 4.

10. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I'm a little confused here now. Maybe I'm thinking about this in a different context but I was always taught that 4/4 is a simple meter where as something like 6/8 is a compound meter. Have I been misled?

11. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Nope you are right.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This isn't right. Cut time (2/2) is exactly like 4/4, just faster. It would be impossible to tell the difference by simply listening.