Weird C thinger in notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    What's the weird C thing in notation where the time signature should be? Is it just a shortcut for standard time (4/4)?
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It means "common time" which is, as you guessed, 4/4.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Fantastic! How about a C with a vertical line through it?
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cut time. Twice as fast. As it is written, imagine that a quarter note is an eigth note.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It means 2/2. It doesn't make any difference to what's written, it just means that it's to be counted with 2 beats to the bar, if you see what I mean. It's generally used when the tempo is too fast to warrant counting out all four beats (e.g. when there's a conductor).
  6. I find that it's easier to just count cut time things in 4 when a conductor isn't involved.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, then you wouldn't be doing cut time.

2/2= 2 beats in a measure, half note gets one beat.
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    2/2 and 4/4 are felt differently. 2/2 is felt evenly, while 4/4 is a compound meter where each beat has a different ammount of a accenting. 1 and 3 being the strong beats, 3 being a little less accented than 1, while 2 and 4 are the weak beats.
  9. I'm playing cut time I'm just counting it in 4. It doesn't matter if you say "1 2 3 4" or "1 and 2 and" the result is the same as long as you play the correct feel. I'm well aware of the different feels that's just how I do it haha. I just meant that I find it easier, mentally, to count in 4.
  10. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I'm a little confused here now. Maybe I'm thinking about this in a different context but I was always taught that 4/4 is a simple meter where as something like 6/8 is a compound meter. Have I been misled?
  11. Nope you are right.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This isn't right. Cut time (2/2) is exactly like 4/4, just faster. It would be impossible to tell the difference by simply listening.