1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Cab Buzz... need help from the techies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DumDrummer, Feb 29, 2008.

1. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Well I got this cab. When I plugged my Ashdown Superfly in I got this buzzing/ distortion noise. It sounds like something between a blown speaker and digital "overdrive".

Trying to figure out if it is the cab or speaker I take it down to my dads studio where we plug it into a speaker power amp (the only source of sound I can get). Cab sounds fine. The music had a good amount of bottom end and we through some decent volume at it and the thing sounded totally fine. No buzz whatsoever.

At this point I am thinking the Superfly is causing me the problem so I order a new head. Fender 250 HD. Got it yesterday, plugged it in and had got the same damn buzzing. The eq is flat. Even when I cut all the bass the head will allow me I still get a buzz. I get the buzz on low notes, high notes, harmonics, low volume or high volume.

I can't imagine a loose screw is causing it as I hear it even when playing harmonics or any notes at the lowest of volumes. But why didn't I hear when I was playing music through it. The cab was thumping and it sounded totally clean with the music.

Any thoughts?

2. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    i had the same problem with hartke's. Started out with their lowest model 4x10's and worked my way up every single time I had the same problem. I had to keep taking it back to samash. The third time around I went in went to the dude and told i wasnt leaving without a brand new eden or your losing a customer. No problems at all with my eden.

3. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Come on people throw me some ideas here...

4. funny.. i was just thinking of getting an eden when I sell my hartke

as for the OP, sorry but my guess is as good as yours :meh:

5. So it did not buzz with an audio amp and piped in music in dad's studio, but it does buzz with a bass head (2 different ones) and your bass at your house? If that is true, then you have to start eliminating causes that are not shared by the 2 audio sources. I would do it in this order:

Could be as simple as your cab is setting on a hardwood floor at your house and on a rug in the studio? Take all your gear over to the studio and see what happens. If that elimates the problem, there is a problem external to the cab like missing rubber feet, a screw loose on a rubber foot, a loose metal corner, etc.

Then...

Different Bass
    Different Cable
    Different Speaker Cable

If my original statement is correct, then it is not internal to the cabinet.

6. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    The cab normally sits on a little stand at my house but I set it on the carpet and got the same thing. It sat on a couch next to me in the studio.
    Tried 3 differnet basses, both active and passive.
    Tried 2 differnet guitar cables and 2 different speaker cables as well as different output combinations for the speaker cables.

The sound really seems to be coming from the speaker, but I can't imagine what would cause such an oddity.

7. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Someone has to have an idea of what is going on...

8. Got a guitar? Does the setup buzz if you pluck the B or E string? If not, start coming down the scale. What happens?

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    It buzzes when you play a note, or it buzzes all the time?

10. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    No Electric Guitar.
    Buzzes just when I play notes. Low notes, high notes, even harmonics. If the cab is trying to reproduce literally anything coming from my bass amp it distorts. It sounds some where between a blown speaker and the digital version of "overdrvie".

11. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    try a diff cab, then a diff head,also sometimes behind the speaker there is a padding that breaks off, try plugging up any unused 1/4 in holes,with earplug foam, it also could be a soldering job gone bad, just some ideas

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    subscribing. :)

13. I've been having a similar problem, intermittently. It sounds like a blown tweeter. But the sound is coming from both my Markbass and my Bergantino cabinets. It really pissed me off during my last gig. I had to turn the tweeters off. Then when I got home and set up my rig and just plugged my bass straight in, it sounded fine, even at high volume. So I'm thinking that it was some kind of distortion being produced by something in my pedal chain (either bad cable, bad power supply, or bad pedal) that is a high frequency white noise that the woofers don't pick up but that the tweeters broadcast. I have yet to isolate the source....

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Extra data point here, DumDrummer is being kind in not mentioning that this cab was one I sold him recently, and we're both trying to troubleshoot this one.

I only bring it up because I wanted to mention that, before I shipped the cab to him, I tested it pretty thoroughly, with bass amps, and it sounded fine... just like it did for him in his dad's studio. Otherwise, I just woulda' swapped him speakers no questions asked if there was really any good reason to expect there was truly a problem with the speaker (I have another one of these cabs and the speaker is fine in it (as well?)).

The issue is, he does want to keep the cab, but of course wants it to work right, which is clearly perfectly sensible. On the other hand, I don't want to send him another speaker only to find out he has the same issue and the speaker and cab are actually fine, which is what makes the most sense, but then where is this crazy noise coming from, and how do we solve it?

Bottom line is, he still wants the cab, and of course I want to make sure he gets what he paid for.

So anyway, thanks so far to all who've contributed, and I look forward to any other ideas posted!

15. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Tried a different head with same result. Padding behind the speaker is fine. I will try the ear plug thing but I am fairly certain it is coming from the speaker. No soldering joints on the speaker, just spade terminals and they were snug as a bug. Tried a different cab and it was fine. I think I have eliminated just about all the other culprits. But I just can't figure out what would cause this...

16. Hi.

As the buzz was gone with another cab, it can't be the dirty juice I was going to suggest, as Your dads studio most probably has a filtered power supply.

Three things come to my mind.

The first is the connecting wires from the coil to the binding posts rubbing against the cone, discussed here in TB every once and a while.

An air leak around the mounting of the speaker.

A bad jack and a different plug in Your dads studio. (metric/imperial if phono plugs)

On both the first two occasions it's possible for the music program to blanket the buzz frequencies below hearing threshold.

I'd try the cab with a signal generator, but a software SG works well too. Easier yet could be a test CD with different sinus frequencies. By playing an intrument Yourself it's rather difficult to pinpoint the source IME.

You might also try to record the said buzz, if possible. That could give us some clues.

Regards
    Sam

17. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    well if you tried all of they above, if its under warrenty, take it back,witch all thats mentioned is all the less xpensive way to go, other than that, you might have to get the cabinet checked by a tech, good luck

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It's "under warranty", so to speak, so we'll make sure something gets done to get him a working speaker/cab. :)

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I didn't read though all the thread because internet troubleshooting makes my head hurt, but make sure if the bass is active that the battery has enough juice - that seems to snag a lot of people ; }

20. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Don't know how to check the to see if the wires are rubbing against the cone.

Kinda checked for air leaks. Felt around the speaker with one hand while playing with another...didn't feel anything. Plus the buzz is audible at such low volumes I can't imagine escaping air being the culprit here.

I have tried a combination of different jacks between the amp and cab. The plug we used in the studio looked like something he rigged up back in the 70's... banana on one end and 1/4 on the other end. All with what looked like lamp cord.

Pretty sure we have a signal generator. I may be able to try that.

As it were I did make a recording of the buzz. PM with your email address and I will send it.