1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WEIRD Cabronita Variant?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Am I tripping or does this Fender Cabronita on Sweetwater have a Cab. Guitar pickup on it.....?

[​IMG]

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Sure looks like it, strange.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That is most certainly a manufacturing defect...

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's gotta be it. Good job, Fender.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Do I smell a collector's item?

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Cuatro....seis...whas the difference guero? ;)

7. Methinks that might be a chop. Somebody's got a sense of humor. But maybe not. I just blew it up and looked at it some more, looks legit. huh.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Naw, that's straight off their site legit.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Still could be a photoshop. Lots of catalog sites PS their images before putting them up,and often will take a stock pic of an instrument and change colors, etc.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I fairly sure sweetwater doesn't do that. If they have more than one of a particular bass they usually have detailed pictures from every angle of each with the weight of each too.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Exactly right.
    Thing is, it probably sounds identical. I wrote them to inform, let's see what happens.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Maybe it sounds great! FYI I got the Squier Cab the other day and the FideliTron is a terrific sounding pickup in this design. Recommended to P bassists who, like myself, seek out variations yet are always unsatisfied with a pup in other than the P sweet spot. I find the FideliTron a more acceptable and pleasing switch up from a split P pickup than I do a single coil P pickup.

And no, this is not PSed. Wish I was that talented.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We here at TB worry about the weirdest junk. Pickups are designed to be magnetic FIELDS. Pole pieces aren't the end all be all of a magnetic field. In fact, in some cases they may have very little affect on it. The field is there around all the strings. It is not as though there are four individual tiny magnetic fields that are the exact width of the travel distance of the strings at the pickup. The number of windings, the type of wire, and several other factors will play into what makes a "hot" or "sweet" pickup. But the little screws, pole pieces, blades, etc. have very little to do with it in many cases. For all we know, those pickups in the Tele version and the ones in the bass version are identical other than the number of screws on top.

nd if they are wound the same, they should sound identical no matter how many screws are on top.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not so sure that anyone is worried about the tone, but moreso that the guitar version of the pickup made it out Fender's door in the bass version, and nothing else. I think we all know how pickups work. BUT, Be honest, wouldn't that QC gaffe chap your ass a little just on principle? To me, from a new-buyer perspective, I think this falls under the heading of legitimate gripe.

15. Totally agree with the magnetic field/polepiece bit. But no way they're wound the same. Guitar pickups usually have a lot more wire in them. I guarantee it's the loudest, nastiest Cabronita on the planet.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Being more familiar with electronic principles and not pickup wiring in detail I will grant you that point.

17. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    defo a manufacturing defect. A guy, who rated a new Coronado Guitar at thomann.de had a Bass Fidelitron in his Guitar as Bridge PU, and it sounded like s..t . The guitar got a bad rating and it was sent back.

18. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I would love to try it though. Looks like the poles line up with the strings with a couple of extra, I wonder if that would increase the output

19. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I wouldn't care if it sounds different or not, it shows to me that they put little care in the QC of it.

20. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I honestly don't think it would matter much. The toaster pickups Rickenbacker uses actually have six pole pieces. They sound fine.

What's more, Ric5 has sometimes used regular jazz pickups with eight pole pieces for his fivers, and he's reported that they sound fine.