1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Career Track

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmchenry, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    So the thread asking for advice from people in IT related fields got me thinking that my career track has been far from what you might call traditional!

Not including crappy high school/college jobs, my career has gone like this:

1. Student: Political Science
    2. College Dropout
    3. Body Piercest
    4. 101st Airborne Soldier
    5. Accounting Clerk
    6. Corporate Accountant/System Automation

That's kind of a weird spread when I consider that graduating high school I had plans on going into Politics, but I'm guessing some of you guys have taken way more eclectic paths in life to get to where you are now. I'd love to hear them if you're willing to share!

2. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK

I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do when I left school.
    My list is quite boring TBH.

1. Apprentice car mechanic.
    2. Forge fettler/grinder.
    3. Apprentice die/tool fitter, now fully skilled.

I like my job, but what I want to do in life? Not really.

3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Apprentice electrician, bottle-washer, hotel porter, hotel engineer, sandwich deliverer, carer. The job I've ended up doing (carer) seems to the one I should have started with. It's the only one I've been able to get out of bed for.
    Of course, I really wanted to be a rockstar. That one didn't quite work out.

4. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    I kinda fell into working with kids/education. Just starting the real gig now, though.

school: philosophy BA
    During school: Camp counselor, tutor
    Now: 1st year teacher, Middle School Science
    in 2 years: grad school- logic, non-profit leadership, or maybe law.

i could also look at it from another perspective -
    camp counselor(working at a non-profit camp)
    DC internship(with a non-profit)
    working as a teacher(through a non-profit)

i like kids...and i seem to do well with non-profit orgs. So, maybe stay in education but not necessarily as a teacher. I've got some time to figure it out.

5. Not as radical as the others here, but pretty 'radical' in terms of direction of study within the sciences.

BSc Hons in Biochemistry, into an MSc in Nanotechnology and Microsystems (quantum physics and micro scale engineering) to a PhD in physics, something I sucked at majorly during high school.