Weird Comparison...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Alright...strange question...Warwick or Rickenbacker? Yes they're 2 totally different animals, and I did a search but couldn't find anything comparing the two. Let me explain myself...I'm looking for a new bass that can rock out well (which we know both Warwicks and Rics do very well)...but I also need a bass that can mellow out to do my jazz gigs. My only bass right now is a Stingray5 which I'm going to use exclusively for funk. I guess the main question is which you feel is more versatile, a Warwick or a Ric. I've already played a few Warwicks but never a Ric because I've never seen one in the Guitar Center near me, otherwise I would go play the Ric and find out for myself! Oh and if I go for a Warwick it prob will have to be a Corvette or something used since I can only afford around $1000 at the moment. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I can only help with the Warwick part - but i bet you would be happier with the Ric part... Anyway i've got a Corvette 6 and i like it. Although I have never played a Ric, at least I know that the Corvette is quite versatile and very responsive to how and with which technique you are playing. You may also find a used Thumb, too - a very distinct and nice tone, would be great for jazz and rock, but not as versatile... compare these two while you wait for someone with a Ric to show up... good luck! ;)
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't know.. I play a Ric 4003, and it can very mellow, but so can a warwick. Both weigh approx 10 pounds. The Ric is a unique animal while the Warwicks compare to Ibanezes (construction wise, not quality). Warwick Corvette's are bolt on, and have a tonal variety, but Rics are neck-thru and achieve that tone that no other bass can get.

I just picked up my rick, and check out what tones I could get with the combo of a Ric and a Sansamp RBI. You can go very mellow and deep by having the Mid at 10'o'clock, the bass and trebble around 2'o'clock, and the presence and blend at around noon. It's very mellow while still keeping the classic ric sound. Turn the mids up to around 1 or 2 for a rock'out'y experience.

Turn the blend up to about 3 o clock for a mellower less growly sound (kind of like a combo Ric-Jazz bass thing)
  4. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks guys...looks like it could be a win-win situation as either would suit my needs quite well. It may come down to a comfort issue. I know the Corvette felt very comfortable in my hands. I have small hands yet for some odd reason I LOVE huge necks. I remember my hand would become fatigued rather quickly on the thin-necked Ibanez I used to I don't know if the same thing would happen to be with the small neck of the Ric...which in turn would make the Warwick a better choice for me. Any other input would be great! Thanks