Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Computer/Adobe Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys,

Twice a year, I edit a journal that is ultimately produced as a .pdf file by the graphic designer. She converts it from Word to Acrobat, then sends it to me for the final edit before sending it to press. In the past, I've downloaded a temporary version of Adobe Acrobat Professional, from Adobe, so that I can make the final edits on the .pdf and send it back to her.

I'm having a major error this time. When I download Adobe and install it, the files won't open. Acrobat won't open, my .pdf won't open. No error message or anything, I double-click the item, it gives my cursor the "working hourglass" for two seconds, then nothing. Neither file will open. Adobe simply won't open.

Does anybody have any ideas? Everything else on the computer is working fine, I have enough RAM, no AV software to block it. I've restarted, reinstalled, uninstalled, blah blah blah.

Thank you guys!

2. The fact that you mentioned the hourglass tells me you're working with Windows, so I'll do the best I can. I am a graphic artist and pretty good with macs.

Forgive me if I get remedial...
    Make sure the version of Acrobat you're using is compatible with the file you're editing. In addition, when PDF'd, there are certain compression options that might not work and play well with others.

Make sure Adobe didn't catch on and remove any editing capability from that trial version.

On the PDF end, ask your designer to print to postscript file and then distill. Sometimes, those all-in-one PDF'ing features of software aren't what they're cracked up to be.

You can always PM me if you need anything. Hope all goes well for you.

John

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Eh... how about i'll take a look at it tomorow:)

Oh and here ya go...

[​IMG]