Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Crackling Noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by -executor-, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I have been experiencing a weird crackling noise when I turn the volume up on my amp. It probably isn't the amp because when I touch any of the strings or the bridge, the noise decreases but I can still hear it. I have no idea what the problem is or what to do about it, so all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    That's darn annoying, isn't it? I have the same problem, and I have a hunch that it is the amp. I understand that cleaning the pots in the amp will solve this problem. I guess the amp-tech sprays a bit of contact cleaner into the pot, and it clears everything up.

I dunno, though, 'cause I haven't tried it yet.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    sounds like a grounding related issue.

4. that might be a bad cable as well. use a different cable and see if it makes the same noise.

5. I have already used two different cables.
    I have a feeling Trevorus is right about the grounding issue, but how could I fix this?

6. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I recently purchased a new bass and a new cable just to upgrade, and I still have the problem. The amp started acting up after a jam session one day where my friend was playing my bass and left it too close to my amp with the master volume way up to get the door.

7. hello fellas, sounds like a grounding or dry solder or both, time to break out the sodering iron me thinks, aew these basses active or passive.