Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird crackling sounds

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schwinn, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    When I was playing both my Lakland Skyline and my Carvin I noticed this annoying crackling when using both of my amp setups. It was louder thru the big one because of the tweeter.

Cheers to Peavey because I didn't notice this problem with my Cirrus - probably because Cirrus pickups are the best ever IMO - off topic.

So why is this in the amp forum you ask?! Well when I unpluged my Skyline from my GK MB150 and plugged in my head phones and turned up all the knobs, I could hear the same crackling. The basses make it louder but the sound is still there without any input in my GK. When I touch metal on the bass, the crackling (and hiss) gets quieter too. What do you think? Something funny with my power? I'm going to listen for it at band rehersal and see if it could be the power source.

Also, incidently, the line voltage meter on my Furman went out! what's up with that? Its like the bermuda triangle here - my internet dsl only works when it wants to as well.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    was the amp plugged into the furman?
    possibly the furman and amp took a hit of some kind.
    i would be careful with that amp as it sounds like you may have a grounding issue as well.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Sounds like static electricity to me.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Guys, there is something wrong with my power here for sure.

Yesterday, I got one of those M-Audio USB interfaces so I could play bass on my computer. Well guess what? Heard the noise on my computer too. So I unplug the AC adapter so my laptop is running on battery and the smacking noise disappears. At least I know my amps aren't messed up. :p

5. Some possibilities:
    Bad duplex wall plug?
    Loose wire connection to plug?
    Circuit breaker internally arcing that feeds that room?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I once had a crackling problem with my p-bass special. A set up guy told me to polish the bass, the crackling stopped! Are you practicing on a carpeted floor?

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Nah, wood floor. What does polishing have to do with it? :eyebrow:

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Wipes away static electricity that builds up around pups.